PDA

View Full Version : Heart worry... just need to vent!

Dazza
19-12-12, 05:45
I've been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for more than 4 years now. I cope pretty well most of the time... but have been stressed out by a few things over the past few months...

Things got worse two weeks ago when I went to A&E with discomfort in abdomen, numbness in right leg and right arm, and dizziness. Checks (ECG) normal.

YEsterday while trying to take a nap, my heart suddenly started to really RACE at such a fast rate... and was a bit irregular. Then it went back to normal rate within about 30 seconds. Since then, I've been having panick attacks again... I use a wrist monitor for blood pressure... pressure has been ok since then ...(highest 137/77) but usually in 120s/60s or 70s BUT the 'irregular heartbeat' warning symbols has appeared on some of the readings I've taken over the past day. I've been freaking out thinking that I have a heart problem.... I've been through all this 4 years ago, but it's back... and I'm freaking out about it. I know anxiety can cause irregular beats / tachycardia... but as much as i try to rationalise it, I still freak out...

I will go for ECG later today. I ju

James1983
20-12-12, 17:00
i get much the same as you. i reckon i am cardiophobic! any twinges or aches or if i feel anything unusual or if i notice my heart beating faster. i get anxious. i have been suffering for over 2 years:weep:

panickyme
20-12-12, 17:35
I'm with you guys, I always worry about my heart. I think if you get checked out you will feel so much better. Hope you feel better. :hugs:

lrforge
20-12-12, 19:07
6 years now for me, still worry! Last night I woke up with a heart rate of over 100 bpm for over 2 hours! Its exhausting. The last 24 holter monitor was about 2 years ago, they caught 150+ skipped beats and they were normal...hope that makes you feel better :)

Dazza
22-12-12, 13:01
i get much the same as you. i reckon i am cardiophobic! any twinges or aches or if i feel anything unusual or if i notice my heart beating faster. i get anxious. i have been suffering for over 2 years:weep:

yes, I know how you feel... I'm also cardiophobic... but it gets better, just do things that distract you, like exercise and stuff, and rationalize that you're ok. Not always easy, I know... at my worst, I was not able to leave the house, but now I can work as normal etc. :)

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

I'm with you guys, I always worry about my heart. I think if you get checked out you will feel so much better. Hope you feel better. :hugs:

This time I managed to stay out of the hospital... the next day my heartbeat was normal again. I decided to speak to my therapist for an hour instead of going to ER. I feel better for not having let the fear get the better of me. :)

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

6 years now for me, still worry! Last night I woke up with a heart rate of over 100 bpm for over 2 hours! Its exhausting. The last 24 holter monitor was about 2 years ago, they caught 150+ skipped beats and they were normal...hope that makes you feel better :)

Yep, I've had holters, MRI's countless ECGs, all normal over the past 4 years of my heart anxiety... in spite of this, I still get anxious. But getting better at controlling my anxiety.

panickyme
22-12-12, 13:55
I'm happy for you being able to get through it with your therapist. I Know it stinks, I don't know if it is because of Christmas coming up or what, but my heart is taking off. I hate that! Constantly checking pulse, of course it's racing, feel sick, all that good stuff! Good thing I don't have a BP monitor, or it would be a permanent fixture on my arm. lol Glad you feel a little better. :hugs:

Dazza
23-12-12, 08:20
Yes - panickyme....

I was fine after that, I felt great for a day or so, but it's back again today. Some missed or early beats. Used my BP monitor and it showed irregular beat on one reading.

About the BP monitor, when I first got it, I used it a lot, but now, I try to use it less... I only tend to use if when I am feeling very stressed, to see how high my BP has gone and try to relax more. other than that, I only used it about once a week to randomly check. Most of the time the BP is between 120s / less than 80 and sometimes 110/60s. The doctors here where I live (Vietnam) have told me to go into BP medication, because a few times I've been to see them they took a reading of 140/90... but it's because each time I go there I'm usually having a panic attack about some physical symptom. My understanding is that BP medication is only for if your BP is constantly at that level of 140/90 or above. I have one friend here, he used to be a cardiology doctor, and said, yes, we never give for rises in BP, only for continually high BP. He got my heart all checked out about 2 years ago in his former cardiology department... he said just keep your triglycerides in check / and your cholesterol, and you're at low risk, even though your family has history of heart disease, because you don't smoke, don't drink... so, I just need to watch what I eat, exercise more (which I've started doing again, 30-50 minutes walking each day) and relax more to keep my mind calm and BP down. :-)

Despite all this, I'm still 'cardiophobic'. I worry each day about it. Most of the time I cope fine, but sometimes, I just get too freaked out, can't work and end up in ER with a machine strapped to me to reassure myself that my heart is fine. My doctor has checked me for countless things over the past 2 years, and says i'm all fine.

How do you cope with your heart worries? How does it affect your day to day life?

panickyme
23-12-12, 14:10
Ughhhhhh Dazza, I just deal with it most of the time, but I hate it. I too have been Docs many of times to rule out any issues. I have had many test (the thing is trying to believe that everything is really alright) but I can't seem to get past it, I am constantly checking my pulse, getting chest pains, making stupid Doctors appointments, and basically dwell on in all the time. My GP was going to put me on BP med at one time also[, but decided not to because she thought it would make me to tired. ( I am the same as you 120/80 usually but I know I make it go up sometimes. Just not fun!!!!! Hope you are feeling better. :hugs: