PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia

Cookie2006
19-12-12, 21:47
Hi all im 24 years old and have had a phobia about vomit since i was about 15 and somebody in my class was ill in assembly from that point on i would have panic attacks when ever i have to sit in a hall full of people. so over the last few years since then i feel like i have been on a rollacoster some times im fine and it doesnt affect me but after the birth of my second son three years ago it became really bad to the point i had to go on medication about a year ago i started to reduce my meds as i felt i was coping and i came off them this summer in september i started training as a midwife which i am loving but my phobia is back and i feel like i cant cope i have started back on medication but i have had to fight to get through every day i have just felt like giving up and staying in the house but i know i will regret it if i let this beat me and i give up just looking for some support

Ats666
19-12-12, 21:52
I am exactly the same as you and as you are am in training to be an adult nurse. Emetophobia is really causing me problems at the minute with the norovirus. It's nice to know I am not the only one in this position. I am just trying to be strong, but it's hard. I just try to look at it rationally and this site really helps :hugs:

Rls1994
19-12-12, 21:56
Hi Cookie and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear that you have this horrid phobia and about your past experience, that sounds awful. I know I would have ran a mile if I ever witnessed that..

Please do not isolate yourself or anything as that's just letting your phobia win, I know, it's easier said than done but I don't want you suffering like I am at the moment. I'm stupid because I've let my emetophobia ruin me, and everyday I'm feeling closer and closer to suicide. It truly is awful.

What exactly are you worried about at the moment? That dreaded Norovirus that's going around?

Have you considered CBT by the way? I'm having it at the moment and I'm liking it so far, I'm hoping to cure my emetophobia for good with this.

Stay positive Cookie. Again, easier said than done but it definitely helps. You will be perfectly fine. :hugs:

Cookie2006
19-12-12, 22:00
thanks for your reply im on holiday for christmas now so im hoping by time im back in january the meds will start to work and i will feel a bit better and cope

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

yes the norovirus has got me scared but when im on placement i really dont like it wheni see someone be sick its like im glued to the spot and cant move thank god ive not been called to help so i busy myself doing something else but then it just puts me off for the whole day i feel sick then i cant eat which is not good if your on a 12hr shift