PDA

View Full Version : slowly getting worse - would love some advice

saware
20-12-12, 00:12
so I've been dealing with anxiety for over 3 years now - it began with the occasional panic attack, I'm talking once every few months. not a massive hindrance to my life, my GP prescribed me propranolol and sent me away. I never took it as I was perfectly able to control my symptoms.

until a few months ago, nothing traumatic happened that I can think may have caused this but my anxiety has suddenly gotten a lot worse - I have a constantly high heart rate, can't stop worrying about tiny trivial things, feel like I can never get enough air into my lungs, am convinced that my boyfriend of a few months is going to break up with me (even though everything's been going great so far!)

I might add I'm 20 years old and in my second year of university. I live with 5 people I would call friends but who I wouldn't say I'm particularly close to - in fact I'm not really close to anyone at university. I still don't know anyone on my course and sit alone in all my lectures. the added problem is that my boyfriend lives at home so we only see each other once every 2 weeks. this causes me a lot of worry as he's a very good looking guy and gets a lot of attention from girls, even when I'm there! I'm convinced I'm going to fail my course (even though I'm averaging a 2:1 at the moment), convinced that every slight pain I experience is something worrying and life-threatening, and am generally extremely insecure. I'm not keen on the idea of taking medication for my anxiety as I've heard about the risks of dependence etc and I'd really like to try every other alternative first.

sorry for the long post. I'd just love to know where to start with all this if anyone can point me in the right direction! this all has crept up on me very quickly starting as an occasional panic attack and has now developed into a daily struggle. any advice appreciated.

nomorepanic
20-12-12, 00:22
Hi saware

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

stormyok10
20-12-12, 09:20
welcome saware,
i am sure you will gets lots of help & advice here

Annie0904
20-12-12, 09:21
I think you need to go back to your doctor. medication can help and I know you are not too keen on taking it but it will help. You could also try Bach rescue remedy which you can buy from the chemists and is natural. Most uni's have a counselling service which may be helpful or ask your doctor to refer you for cognitive behaviour therapy. x

Justinf
20-12-12, 09:43
There's absolutely nothing wrong with medication. If you have a sore throat, you medicate. If you have a cough, you medicate. Medicating the brain is no different.
It sounds like you have a lot going for you. Doing well at uni, a hottie for a BF are just two things. I know it's easier said than done, but try concentrating on the good things in your life at the moment.
Being 20, it's young to be anxious, but I know how you feel. I went through the same thing and wished I'd taken the advice I am giving you know.

bfff2020
20-12-12, 20:21
I agree with Justinf completely

it sounds like you have a lot going for you compared with most 'anxiety' sufferers, anxiety is a part of life it's only when it interferes with life it becomes a real problem

I could never live with 5 people or have a partner let alone many things due to how negatively GAD impacts me daily

I wish you well

Sparkle1984
20-12-12, 23:49
Welcome to the forums. :)

It does sound like you have a lot going for you, but anxiety can affect anyone for any reason. I personally think you should go back to your doctor to discuss your options, as you've got worse since you last saw them. You can ask for counselling or cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), and there are medications available which are non-addictive. When you said about risk of dependence, you were probably thinking about diazepam (which can be addictive), but SSRI medication which can work well for anxiety is non-addictive.

Like bfff2020, I wouldn't be able to live with 5 housemates (so I lived at home while I went to university) and I've never had a serious partner either.

saware
21-12-12, 19:16
thanks for the advice so far - also sorry if I was unclear, I know at the moment my anxiety would be considered mild compared to what some people are going through but I do feel like I'm slowly losing control of it and I'd rather get a hold of it now before it's too late! thanks again :)