PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Justinf
20-12-12, 09:23
Hi from a newbie.
I have had health anxiety for about 35 of my 42 years. I suffer from GAD and for the past three months very, very, very severe health anxiety.
I stumbled across this forum by accident (while, of course doing a Dr Google search :ohmy:) and have been a lurker for a few weeks and decided to join just to see what it was like to have other people who were feeling just like me.

nomorepanic
20-12-12, 09:34
Hi Justinf

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Justinf
20-12-12, 09:36
I should add that as a 13-year-old I approached my mother about what I thought was a lump on my left testicle. She said she would talk my father about it. I never heard back from her or him about it so I suffered in silence every day thinking I only had a few months to live. This went on until I was 29 (yep, 16 years!) when I finally decided to find out what this 'lump' was and it turned out to be nothing. I sought another opinion and the same assessment was made. So for all my teenage and adult life, I have had major health anxiety issues (can you blame me when my own mother didn't do anything about it? Can you imagine how that feels?).
My latest issue was three months ago when I heard a co-worker on the telephone talk about a friend of his being diagnosed with spinal cancer. Well, that set me off on my latest frenzy. I started feeling I had a sore back. Went to the GP (three of them) and an osteo (no spinal cancer). I then developed a virus which turned into a dry cough for three weeks after (convinced I had lung cancer). turned out the virus ran its course. Then felt I had bowel cancer and prostate cancer.
Consequently for the past three weeks I have lost all appetite and have developed some digestive problems. I am convinced I have stomach cancer, although my GP says it is health anxiety. Fortunately when I am not doctor shopping, my GP is really good. She reassured me that physically I am fine and suggested counselling and a change in psychiatrist and medication (currently weaning off 60mg Cymbalta) and am going to try Zolft. In the meantime I am taking 25mg of Seroquel twice a day while weaning off the Cymbalta.
I know in my heart that I probably don't have stomach cancer. My GP said that if she even slightly suspected I had it, she would have sent me off for tests immediately. And I also know through good old Dr Google, that anxiety and the digestive system and very much intertwined.
Anyway, that's my story so far. Much more to tell, but don't want to bore people anymore than I have.
Thanks for reading. I hope I can make some friends in here.

Annie0904
20-12-12, 09:39
Hi :welcome:

Mark13
20-12-12, 13:29
Hi justinf

Welcome to the forum. Yes, we can certainly understand your Health Anxiety.

You're in good company here.