PDA

View Full Version : One year on

secretsquirrel
20-12-12, 12:39
Hi everyone - this time last year, the No More Panic fluox forum was just about keeping me sane as I went through the onslaught of symptoms that comes with starting fluox. I posted this update in April, once things had improved markedly:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=980370#post980370

The forum has been popping into my mind a lot recently, now that it's the same time of year I was here, so I thought I'd pop back for another update.

It's the depths of winter again, which is my least favourite time of year, so I'd be lying if I said I was full of joy and happiness. But I can safely say that I am absolutely NOWHERE like the place I was a year ago. My new job is going pretty well, is much less stressful than the last one, and has been a positive change. I've had an amazing year full of activity and achievement and friendship, and it's only in the past few weeks that I've felt the winter darkness bite me.

I've also learnt more about how to deal with depression in the past year. Having spent time feeling good again makes me realise that the depressed feelings are NOT me, and they're NOT normal, and I don't deserve to feel like that. I'm better able to recognise that fact even when I'm in the midst of it, and to step back and see it for what it is, rather than a personal failing (I recommend Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for anyone wanting to explore this "stepping back" practice - this book and CD are pretty good http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286).

I currently take 20mg fluox every second day; I've had some success with Vit D supplements. I'm planning to come off the fluox totally in spring.

Most of what I really want to say, I said in my previous update, and it still holds:

Ask for help.
There is hope.
You deserve to be well.
This WILL pass.

:hugs:
secretsquirrel xx

Annie0904
20-12-12, 12:42
Thank you for your post it is lovely to hear that you are feeling so much better.

BobbyDog
20-12-12, 17:14
Wonderful to hear of such success, all the best for the coming year.:hugs:

Tufty
20-12-12, 18:18
Brilliant post :D
I hope you continue to feel well, it's inspirational to hear how far you have come and gives hope to all of us in the early days of medication
Thank you for sharing x

Sparkle1984
21-12-12, 00:12
It's good to hear you are doing so well, thanks for sharing your story. :)