PDA

View Full Version : bad white coat syndrome - amongst my other things

rockbush
20-12-12, 20:26
I think i have bad white coat syndrome. my bp usually runs 150/85 for years. last year got obsessed with home machine and sent myself to the ER. had it checked at the docs 2 months ago and about the usual for me at first and then they rechecked it and said it was good.. 1 month ago i pinched a nerve in my neck and went into full blown panic attacks (i have panic and gad for years, maybe 3 pa per year) my bp was like 180/120. they put me on bp meds.then a week later i go to the shrink it is almost normal...they give me xanax and lexapro. i have been off any meds for 1 year. week later the pain is back and i go back to er and bp is real high again. i broke down panicked and crying. grown man. followup at my docs and still high. freaked out again. still taking bp meds. today checked it at home and it was 156/113 freaked out before and after. i am in constant panic state and cant stop thinking i will cause my bp to go up an it will kill me....

Taking a quarter pill of xanax 3x a day to keep the panic down. have not started the lexapro. what to do... there is no way at this point I can go near a doctors office from fear.
Oh just started wih a new CBT phd. had great results several years ago bu then had bad GAD and went on lexapro for a while. actually felt great for a year but was sleepy and not much ambition so I weened off them about 1 year back.

Colin44
21-12-12, 10:20
Do you smoke or drink alot, are you over weight?

These can also contribute to high BP, mines is 150/95 at the moment which is high but I'm trying to calm myself down, pretty sure its stress and panic thats causing it.

Going to get a 24hr monitor on soon but set myself a goal of change in diet and more exercise to try and lower it.

Justinf
21-12-12, 11:07
Mine's been 120/70 forever and then for some reason it just started going up. Got to 140/100 and with meds it is down to 120/75.
Many factors can interfere with your BP.
It took me 6 to 8 months to finally get the medication at the right level to keep it under control. Just keep perservering and you will get there.
Oh, and lifestyle is also a deciding factor. For me? I drink too much so I cut down and am carrying 20kg, which i need to get off.
Stick with it. You will get there.

Colin44
21-12-12, 11:34
Mine's been 120/70 forever and then for some reason it just started going up. Got to 140/100 and with meds it is down to 120/75.
Many factors can interfere with your BP.
It took me 6 to 8 months to finally get the medication at the right level to keep it under control. Just keep perservering and you will get there.
Oh, and lifestyle is also a deciding factor. For me? I drink too much so I cut down and am carrying 20kg, which i need to get off.
Stick with it. You will get there.

Good to hear, my diet has been poor of late and no exercise when I was fit as a fiddle a few months ago.

Justinf
21-12-12, 11:35
Good to hear, my diet has been poor of late and no exercise when I was fit as a fiddle a few months ago.
happens doesn't it? Was running half marathon three years ago and now have 20kg to get rid of. That will come when the mind allows me to.

Colin44
21-12-12, 12:03
happens doesn't it? Was running half marathon three years ago and now have 20kg to get rid of. That will come when the mind allows me to.

I was doind the same up till about May this year, went on holiday then got lazy!:blush: