PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus / sickness phobia

Grape
20-12-12, 20:39
Hi, I'm new to this forum .. although not new to the phobia. For as long as I can remember I've been phobic about the sickness 'bug' I've also suffered from anxiety problems and depression although they are not my main problem now ... it's the dreaded norovirus. I thought it was on the wane but today my daughter in law has been sent home from work with it and I've got all the family coming for Christmas and I'm terrified that they'll all end up with it whilst they're here. It seems to spread so quickly and I'm so terrified that I almost feel like cancelling our get together .. which sounds awful. I'm supposed to be a well qualified intelligent person and I'm so embarrassed about feeling like this. My hubby is very supportive but I think my family will not be happy if I cancel Christmas. Help ... I feel desperate and just can't stop crying

nomorepanic
20-12-12, 20:49
Hi Grape

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Rls1994
20-12-12, 21:01
Grape, I can totally relate to you over this awful phobia.. I also have it and am panacing like crazy as it's in my area at the moment... And my town is very tiny....

Don't feel embarrassed or anything, it's not your fault at all. I'm sorry but I do not know what to offer, as I'm in the exact same boat as you.. I'm not having Christmas dinner this year. I've told my parents and they're totally fine about it. Have you discussed this with your family?

Oh, and welcome to NMP. :hugs:

ElizabethJane
20-12-12, 21:16
Grape I do not suffer from emetophobia but I have suffered with the Winter Vomiting bug. Its onset is very quick and there is not a lot you can do about it once it starts. We all had the runs as well and quickly became dehydrated. Fortunately it is a twenty four hour thing and we were all completely well after forty eight hours. I hope you enjoy your Christmas and don't cancel it. Make sure the family wash their hands after using the loo and before eating.Have some hand gel around and clean door handles after they are gone. It is touch that spreads this virus. I always go round changing hand towels and cleaning the loo and floors after the family have gone. Tell them if they are at all ill to stay away. Have a good Christmas.

Grape
20-12-12, 22:52
Thanks RLS 1994 and Elizabeth Jane for replying .. I'm taking all the precautions I can think of .. just wish it was all over. Thanks for your support though; it all helps.

Tolineux
21-12-12, 16:41
Hi!!

I work at a local hospital were it will not allow visitors as norovirus, I have worked on the ward since the outbreak and h ave not had it due to good hand decontamination. The chances of you getting it are slim!!

Hope this helps - bloody anxiety is awful!!

Richard1960
21-12-12, 17:32
Hi!!

I work at a local hospital were it will not allow visitors as norovirus, I have worked on the ward since the outbreak and h ave not had it due to good hand decontamination. The chances of you getting it are slim!!

Hope this helps - bloody anxiety is awful!!

I work in wards also and 12 years in the NHS i have not caught if once.

I think sometimes the fear is worse then the reality the press really put on a doom and gloom hat on for norovirus obviously we have alcohol hand rub,and when there is an outbreak the wards are isolated but i still have to go on them regardless.

I would not worry too much.:)

Richard. x