PDA

View Full Version : it all started with one overheard phone call...

Justinf
21-12-12, 00:26
Firstly, this will probably be a long post. Sorry. But for the sake of some sort of brevity, here's how I became to be a health worrier. I will tell you why I am like I am. I went to a school dentist at age 6 and they drilled fillings into my teeth without any anasthetic and the nurse had to hold me down and tell me the pain was "only the noise". Then as a 13-year-old I approached my mother about what I thought was a lump on my left testicle. She said she would talk my father about it. I never heard back from her or him about it so I suffered in silence every day thinking I only had a few months to live. This went on until I was 29 (yep, 16 years!) when I finally decided to find out what this 'lump' was and it turned out to be nothing. I sought another opinion and the same assessment was made. So for all my teenage and adult life, I have had major health anxiety issues (can you blame me when my own mother didn't do anything about it? Can you imagine how that feels?).
For the record, I am a 42 year old male. Nonsmoker.
I remember it vividly. September 19, 2012 around lunctime when I overheard a co-worker on the phone in the office tell the person he was talking to that a friend of his had been diagnosed with spinal cancer.
For some reason my mind shifted into overdrive and an hour later I started to get a sore back in the thorasic region (mid-back region). Coincidence or real? I couldn't make my mind up. FOr the next two days the general ache stayed so I made an appointment to see my GP and from then on I have spiralled into a complete abyss to the point where I cannot see a way out and I am frustrating and alienating my loved ones.
The GP examined my back and said it was probably through poor posture, being overweight (I have put on 20kg in three years since having GAD and depression) and not moving around much and that it was not spinal cancer.
I went for a 2nd opinion. Same thing.
I went to an osteo. Same thing. Very tight mid back muscles. No spinal cancer and he said if he thought I had it, I would have been going for an x-ray the next day.
This did little to alleviate my anxiety. Then my wife left on a trip to Thailand for two weeks. This made things worse. My anxiety levels jumped and I was convinced I was dying of spinal cancer. Dr Google became my friend (what a friend he is! NOT!) and I started thinking I had weakness in the legs, which was a sure sign of the tumour pushing down on a nerve in the spine.
I then developed a upper respiratory virus. Phlegm, generally unwell, and a productive cough. Lasted three days, but a dry cough developed and hung around for days. Lung cancer. But I don't smoke! Asbestos related lung cancer! Dr Google was doing his best. I then doctor shopped. Four GPs I saw and they all said it was a post-viral cough that could hang around for weeks. Drink plenty of water and it will go. Osteo said it had been particularly bad this Australian winter. Convinced I now had lung cancer which had spread to the spine, I started thinking about updating my will etc. Anyone done that? Of course you have! Eventually, after about a month, the cough cleared up. Yep it hung around. And yes I re-visited two different GPs about it in the meantime. One even laughed at me when I asked at the end of the consultation if it was lung cancer.
Back started feeling better with treatment from the osteo. Hey, maybe I am not dying just after all!:yahoo:
All this happened over the course of about two months. I started to get a sore right knee. Bone cancer? Spasms in the diaphragm. Dr Google actually WAS my friend on this one and it didn't come up with anything sinister. Lump on the roof of my mouth. Tumour. Ooops, I remembered I slipped with the toothbrush that morning and it hurt.
See what I mean?
Then I started losing my appetite, which is just not me at all. I love my food. And at 184cm and 120kg, I am quite a bit overweight unfortunately. I lost 4kg over a month. Unexplained weight loss! Cancer. Terrified. Stupidly, I tried to put the weight back on, thinking that if I could, then I could rule myself out of cancer. How dumb is that? Of course giving up alcohol for a month and anxiety couldn't have contributed to my weight loss. Oh no! That's just too logical.
My GP checked me out and then sat me down and said if anything, I should keep going with the weight loss because if I lost 20kg, I would feel better in every aspect, including the mind. She is right of course, but that doesn't compute with someone whose mind is not functioning properly.
I went back to the GP last Friday. Still no appetite, but no other symptoms. She said it was anxiety and said I should actually use it to my benefit to lose some weight. She knew about the previous two months and what I was dealing with inside my mind. It made sense. By now I was back up to 120kg again, because I went on an overseas trip for two weeks and ate well even though my appetite had not returned.
During the last GP visit, I broke down in tears. I never do this. It was only then that my GP saw how much this was destroying me. She blocked out the next three patients and spent an hour with me, going over how the brain and digestive system are very much intertwined etc. I never realised that. She was great.
I tried to make an appointment today, because I do have some abdominal discomfort, but again, I am trying to think logically that the anxiety could be causing this and because I am weaning off Cymbalta with my psychiatrist (from 60mg to 30mg) and have increased my Seroquel (from 25mg a day for a week, now up to 25mg twice a day to combat the effects of weaning off the Cymbalta).
But my GP was booked out but made an exception to see me in an hour. I guess I just need some reassurance before the Christmas season. She has suggested actual psychology to combat my anxiety.
Anyway, that's my story so far. My wife has been incredibly supportive, but I have withdrawn from everybody, including my 12-year-old daughter whom I love more than life itself, just at a time when she probably needs me most.
I would not wish the past three months upon anyone.
I am glad I have found this forum to be able to share my true feelings.
And to think, all this was triggered by overhearing one, silly phone call.

Liziik
21-12-12, 01:27
Welcome! And I am glad you have found this forum, you will probably notice a lot of posts similar to yours we have all been there! Stemming from one 'illness' to another! And our 'trusted' friend google who does nothing but put shear panic into out lives! Have you read the bit on this site about anxiety and its symtoms? If you havnt its good and worth a read! It is crazy to think that anxiety can stem from something like an overheard convo! But that's just the way it works sometimes! I will tell you something that I find amazing! When I was 15 (I'm 24 now) I used to panic as when I was cold my hands went blue and I used to think the blood wasn't travelling to my hand and subsequently I was definitly going to die! I went and visited a hypnotherapist (although I didn't get hypnotised just chatted) and he told me to stick my hand out and imagine I was dipping it into a freezing cold bucket of water I did so and then pulled my hand out and to my amazement it was blue from the wrist down as if I had just stuck it in freezing water! You might wonder why I mention this but our minds are such powerful things and if like with you someone says spinal cancer and you start getting back pain it might not actually be pain atall and might juust be a figmant of our imaginations! Its bizarre and scary at the same time!
Also anxiety can cause irritable bowel (which I have) and its a nightmare I get terrible pains! If you visit your dr you could ask about that! Anyways I'm rambling! I'm sorry you are feeling the way you do but I hope this site can help you in some way!

P.s sorry about the spelling I'm on my phone and it has a stupidly small keyboard! Xx

Justinf
21-12-12, 01:32
Thanks Liziik.
I just got back from the GP and she said the same thing. The mind is powerful. She asked me to please trust her that if I had any signs or if she she even minutely thought I had cancer, I would be out the door getting tests immediately.
Sometimes we need a little reassurance. Fortunately she knows what I am like so when I asked her if I had stomach cancer, she smiled and said 'Nope'.

Liziik
21-12-12, 01:47
I am the same I needed reasurance yesterday and went to the doctor, we do need to trust them although its hard when we have spent so long convincing ourselves its something worse. But they know what they are talking about! Hope you are feeling better soon :) xx

panickyme
21-12-12, 02:22
I am so happy for you that you have such an understanding doctor. Health anxiety is a horrible thing. I suffer from it also. (stinks :weep:) I'm sorry you had to deal with those things growing up, that must have been really scarey for you. Have you had any kind of counseling, or do you take any medication for anxiety? Read some post, and the information on health anxiety, maybe that will help you some. Hope you feel better, and no you are not alone. :hugs:

Colin44
21-12-12, 10:16
Thats a very long time to worry about a lump on your testicle to not do anything about it!

If it was cancer you'd be gone by now, if in doubt see the doctor as they are there to help and care for you. I know what you are going through, and probably most people on this forum do, you are not alone.

Justinf
21-12-12, 10:43
Thats a very long time to worry about a lump on your testicle to not do anything about it!

If it was cancer you'd be gone by now, if in doubt see the doctor as they are there to help and care for you. I know what you are going through, and probably most people on this forum do, you are not alone.
It is a long time. And after a few years I kinda realised I wasn't going to die from it. My parents failed me when I needed them, at just 13 years old. But the months of walking around not know when I was I going to die at that stage can screw with you for the rest of your life.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

I am so happy for you that you have such an understanding doctor. Health anxiety is a horrible thing. I suffer from it also. (stinks :weep:) I'm sorry you had to deal with those things growing up, that must have been really scarey for you. Have you had any kind of counseling, or do you take any medication for anxiety? Read some post, and the information on health anxiety, maybe that will help you some. Hope you feel better, and no you are not alone. :hugs:
Thanks. Yes, my GP has been very understanding. She finished work for the holidays today, but let me know she would be in next Thursday and Friday for a couple of hours each day analying patient's blood tests etc and said I could call in either day for a consultation. She just to ring first and I could pay when the office re-opens in two weeks. It's great when you have a good GP who doesn't dismiss you.
I have been seeing a psych for three years and have tried Lexapro and Cymbalta. Will try Zoloft in the new year and see how that goes. Knowing my luck I will go through every medication and the last one will work:roflmao:
Having said that, in three years I haven't improved much. Probably time to find a new psych.