PDA

View Full Version : Bad dizzy spells getting me down

Catalyst
21-12-12, 11:10
Well, I've been fighting fairly successfully with my anxiety for a while. I mean I've been managing to reassure myself when the ugly doubts creep in. But, my latest problem is really starting to beat me down...

My current symptom is dizziness. Its been getting steadily worse for about 2 months. I've suffered with dizzy spells in the past (remember them as long as 11 years ago) . However, this is on a much bigger scale & also feels very different. I used to get the occasional feeling of my head spinning. Now I'm getting very unbalanced & feel like I'm swaying and unsteady. Plus my head spins too, but not like the room is spinning. The thing is I can be absolutely fine and then - wham! It comes from nowhere and is really unsettling. Obviously my natural instinct is panic, which can make it worse. But the worry is that it's not panic or anxiety that is actually triggering it. Something else is, but I don't know what. Thats what scares me.

I had a blood test & urine test. Both fine. Doctor has told me to use otrivine for my sinuses incase its a problem there. I don't feel like theres a problem there (although I did have a painful sinus about 2 weeks ago). Plus after using the nasal spray, I can taste it - yuk. Doctor also said they wouldn't want to refer me for a couple more months - refer me for what?! :ohmy:

I work in a canteen & I'm on my feet all day. The dizzy spells are very debilitating when they happen at work. As its not convenient for me to keep sitting down. I worked my last day before Christmas yesterday & had the worst dizzy spell yet. It was horrible. I'm scared that this isn't going to improve - I really don't want to keep getting dizzy at work.

I'm going to get my eyes tested in a bit. Just want to get an answer as to why I'm dizzy. So it can be fixed. I was given Stemetil by a doctor to combat the symptom, but obviously that doesn't address the cause. I haven't taken them because they are also anti-psychotics which seem a bit heavy duty & plus the possible side-effects scare me! I'm so fed up. :weep:

Jen Sat
21-12-12, 11:29
Hi, I understand how you feel. I have been having dizzy spells on/off for 10yrs or so. It started with the odd head spin, feeling like im off balance or that I am swaying, when I am not. I could be sitting down and then it would feel like i had just come off a fairground ride. Couldnt understand what was going on. It increased with frequency and so did the panic and anxiety that there was something seriously wrong. I went to the GP and on occassion to A & E who also gave me Stemetil. In the early days I even flew to USA to get a brain scan as I was certain that it was a tumour, of course they didnt find anything. So back to the GP, referred to ENT and had full assessment, nothing major found. Then was told it was Vertigo...not sure I agree with the diagnosis as the feeling is random and short lasting. It is frustrating as it is unpredictable and scary. I have tried many times to make it worse to see what will happen and I cannot, so although the symptoms are not nice, I dont think it is anything life threatening or anything and is all part of the anxiety traits. Hope this helps to reassure you in some way. :)

Catalyst
21-12-12, 11:53
Thank you. Yes it always helps to hear you're not alone. The way you describe it is just what mine feels like. The first time it happened at work it was like a head rush and since then its very similar to coming off a ride or stepping off a conveyor belt. Did the stemetil help you at all?

Jojo1603
21-12-12, 12:06
Hi there - your doIng all the right things by having yr eyes checked etc but I used to get dizzy sPells quite badly esPecially if I was queuing up - I would get them if I was sitting down and felt like I was going to fall off my seat and few times I felt like I was rocking backwards and forwards and when I would check I wasn't moving at all - that's anxiety for ya - once to feel something isn't right you keep checking yourself and over thinking it - I still do get dizzy if I feel out of control or tired but now just see it for what it is

Jen Sat
21-12-12, 14:02
Yes the Stemetil helps and I only take it when I the symptoms are extremely bad. It also used for mild anxiety so also takes the edge off the panicky symptoms. I didnt experience any side effects. Jojo explains it very well, try not to add any further anxiety to it as chances are that the symptoms will be prolonged. See it another branch of anxiety and like how you have been managing and coping with the other symptoms you can tackle this one to. :)

Catalyst
21-12-12, 18:29
Well I might try taking the tablets & see if they do help over Christmas. Thanks!

Thank you Jojo. My eyes checked out ok. Well, my left eye is shot (but I've always known that!) It works at about 20-30% of what it should due to a squint & surgery I had 30 years ago. My right eye does all the work, but the optometrist (?) said my right eye has a pilot's vision. So I guess that's good?! My only problem is astigmatism which I can get glasses for occasional use that may help. Doesn't address the dizziness, but at least I know my eyes are healthy. :)