PDA

View Full Version : Here I am..looking for advice

Maisie12
21-12-12, 18:59
Hi There...

I am new and just wanted to say hello.

Today I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 30mg to help with a very low point in my life at the moment.

This may sound pretty trivial and petty...but...if it has a negative effect on me then it is important.

I am really worried that I am going to put on weight while I am on this medication...will I?

If there is a chance of that...I would rather ask the doctor for something else.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you.

nomorepanic
21-12-12, 19:11
Hi Maisie12

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

rhusio
21-12-12, 20:37
Welcome Maisie12

I've recently started Mirtazpine (15mg for 3 wks, 30mg 1 wk) and I think it has increased my appetite. My strategy is to be strict with myself over eating and make myself go to the gym (I think exercise is good for mental health conditions anyway)

BobbyDog
21-12-12, 21:02
In my case it has increased my appetite, usually about 20 minutes after taking my medication I become very hungry. Just because Mirtazapine has had that effect on me does not mean that it happens to everyone though.

Mark13
21-12-12, 21:25
I'm 4 stone overweight, give or take a pound exactly what I was 5 years ago when I started on Mirtazapine. Yes, it can give you the munchies, but it can't put you weight on without overeating.

I basically do a well known diet in order to stay the same weight (using their maintenance amount, not the weight loss amount).

So basically you might have a few sugar and carb cravings initially, but it should soon settle down.

The benefits of Mirtazapine, in my personal experience, far outway the small amount of effort it takes to ignore the odd "munchies" episode.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Sorry, welcome to the forum, BTW :)

Maisie12
27-12-12, 19:01
Thanks for your advice everyone....really appreciate it.
I have not been taking the meds yet but feel that I really need to do something. Had a pretty awful Christmas and I am dreading New Year.
I am going through a pretty tough time due to my relationship break-up and just keep regurgitating things over and over and over.......not sleeping very well and just can't seem to settle my mind to anything other than my ex partner!!
In a big deep black hole at the moment. :(

Sparkle1984
27-12-12, 20:10
Welcome to the forums. :)

If you are concerned, it's probably best to go back to the doctor and discuss it with them. They may be able to prescribe you something else instead. I've never taken mirtazapine so I can't give you any advice about the side effects.

Mark13
27-12-12, 21:43
Hi maisie

Mirtazapine should help you sleep (it has been a godsend to me in that department for 5 years now).

If you're worried about weight gain you might want to discuss trazodone or one of the SSRIs with your Doctor. He obviously believes you would benefit from medication.