PDA

View Full Version : Heart and pulse obsession

Anxious lu
22-12-12, 00:39
New obsession.. My heart.

I always suffer with body checking behaviours my newest being my pulse..
Sometimes I'm 100bpm resting and now I'm 72bpm.
I wonder why it changes so much I'm scared there is something wrong with my heart as sometimes I feel like a breath isn't satisfying me like the air is heavy, then I become dizzy and adrenaline starts..

I know this is probably my anxiety mixed with like acid reflux and an MRI I had recently showed my circulatory system was fine..

I can't get this out my head even now my breath feels heavy..

Does anyone else get this?

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

I also find myself concearbed and obsessive about irregular heart beat

AnnieMags
22-12-12, 01:40
Dear Lucy, I know where you are coming from - I suffer with the occasional missed beats and 'racing' pulse and also tend to check it, probably more than is good for me! My pulse varies between 100 and 70 - apparently anything between 60 and 100 is considered normal. The doctor told me that if you are anxious you produce more adrenalin, and this will stimulate the impulses in the heart that controls the rate at which it beats. I think all the symptoms you describe can be down to anxiety - if you run it by your GP I am sure he will reassure you. If you feel breathless, you have probably been taking fast, shallow breaths, again caused by anxiety. Try to slow your breathing right down and breathe deeply - in through the nose, out through the mouth. You will soon feel better. Hugs to you from Annie

Anxiety Jim
22-12-12, 02:28
I used to constantly check my pulse. But it was never high numbers that worried me. My heart rate used to drop below 60 sometimes, and that's what worried me.

BUT it was always me 'making' it go so low. I used to breathe very deeply and slowly, and close my eyes so I could concentrate on my pulse, but obviously doing that is going to lower my heart rate.

Thinking about it I can remember when I stopped checking my pulse, I think I must have gradually checked it less and less.

Whenever you do check your pulse, try to take reassurance from it, knowing that you heart is beating away nicely, and nothing that you can think about will change it. It helped me relax a little anyway.

virgo199060
22-12-12, 02:57
Hi Lu!

I had the same obsession earlier this year! (as well as taking my temp)
It got to a point where I was checking my pulse every couple of minutes and my friend actually took a photo of me taking my pulse in my sleep...weird I know lol!

Your pulse will be going up and down when you start feeling anxious and then relaxing again. When you panic, you get a boost of adrenaline and your heart rate increases and when you chill, it'll go back down. This is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

I managed to stop obsessing over my pulse by only allowing myself to check every 5 minutes, then 10, then an hour, and I went on like this until the obsession passed.

I hope I've helped in someway!

Anxious lu
22-12-12, 08:44
Thank you for the replies it's always reassuring to hear back from other anxiety sufferers that they experience the same things.

Wow though your pulse checking behavious soundproof intense than mine. I usually not do it when I notice a change in my breathing.. Hopefully it stays that way. Yes it certainly is reassuring to know your heart is still beating even if it is pounding.

I sometimes get it at times I don't feel noticible anxious though. :-(

ricardo
22-12-12, 09:20
Lu

as others have said it is another form of "checking" I have done it for years periodically then I suddenly find another part of my body to get obsessed with. Learning to accept it is the key, though easier said than done.
Like all anxiety symptoms the more you concentrate on them the worse they get.

Anxious lu
22-12-12, 19:40
Yes I agree with that. I walked for a few hours around the town and up to meet my boyfriend from work and was talking on the phone most of the time. I never pace myself everyone complains about how fast I walk and then I started to get out of breath.. I have a strange heart sensation now like I need to coughixed with palpitations .. It's scaring me

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Every breath feels hot and minty sensation?

xtremx
24-12-12, 12:11
Hi Lucy.
Your pulse is ok mine can be at 120 one minute and then 54 the next. A lot of external factors have an effect on our heart rate ranging from being male or female,heat,cold,noise,joy,stress,excitement,fear and the list goes on and on...

My wife's pulse is around 110 resting but for her that is normal

I have been and done what you are doing, At one stage I was hooked on my Blood Pressure I was taking it upto 50 times aday (I would need new batteries most days) that is sad.

I still do my Pulse a few times aday using an iphone app, But I tend to leave it unless I'm feeling stressed but I'm noticing more oftern now when I tend to think I'm stressed my heart rate is around 60 so that must mean it is my mind playing tricks on me.

If you let it stress you it will.

I will mail you all the info from my mentor and he has covered this kind of stuff in his chats with me. I will mail you everything even my chat and his answers. I know it is personal stuff that relates to me but in the end it is just the same stuff we are all going though. I just need to put it into microsoft office and remove the spelling mistakes and correct the grammer.