PDA

View Full Version : Feel Breathless But Not

malibupete
22-12-12, 18:57
Does anyone else experience periods where they become obsessed with their breathing and begin panicking that they're experiencing breathlessness, but if you try to talk to someone or whathaveyou you manage it absolutely fine, indicating you're not actually breathless at all? Is this an anxiety thing? Does this post even make sense?

Pinkbrenda2012
22-12-12, 19:06
makes total sense I go through different stages of health anxiety and this is definitely one of them. my partner always says look how many times its happened in the past and nothing bad happened its all in the mind if you concentrate on one part of your body to long you will notice different sensations just try and relax x

Mark13
22-12-12, 20:04
Yes, yes and yes. It happens to me on occasion, it's almost definitely an anxiety thing, and you're making complete sense :)

AuntieMoosie
22-12-12, 20:13
Yes it's most definitely anxiety:)

I used to be obsessed with my breathing so I know what it's like, not pleasant.

The way I learned to handle it was that every time I caught myself obsessing with my breathing, I immediately distracted myself so that I was thinking of anything other than breathing.

Our brains control our breathing, it doesn't need any help from us!!! lol it's an automatic thing, thank goodness! So let your brain take the strain!! lol

I know it's the pits when you've got that, but you can learn to change it, just takes a little time.

Hugs being sent :hugs:

malibupete
22-12-12, 20:20
Thanks very much, all... With most of my pains and "symptoms" I know rationally that they're being caused by regular, non-fatal things, but I'm having a really hard time keeping my rational brain dominant at the moment. This is the least rational of my symptoms, so it's really reassuring to know that it's "just" my anxiety!

anx mum
22-12-12, 20:40
feeling the same as you at the moment cant breath sat here in tears its horrid and scares the life out of me so know exactly how u feel is it a constant feeling?

malibupete
22-12-12, 20:44
Mine comes and goes... You have my sympathies though, yours sounds even more unpleasant an experience.

anx mum
22-12-12, 21:22
Its awful hun would rather have the pain cant deal with this breathing scares me

malibupete
22-12-12, 21:26
I think, like Auntiemoosie said, we just have to try and remember that our brains take care of the whole breathing thing for us :)