PDA

View Full Version : I failed today.

LockedShut
25-08-06, 15:04
I got the results back for my AS-Levels. And I failed. Two years ago, I failed my AS-Levels for the first time.

I was standing in a crowded hall and at that moment when I read that stupid sheet of paper, the room got louder. The laughs and cheery voices were louder. I ran from that room and cried.

I should've known it'd have gone wrong. Looking back on it, the way everything was going well... I woke up on time after a decent night's sleep, my bus came straight away, my hair was fine this morning, all the little things... I should have seen it coming.

I've never felt more of a failure. I told this to my "best friend" and instead of feeling bad about my grades, I passive-aggressively argued with him for abandoning me. (He's 150 miles away.)

Now I'm in this strange state, where I know I should be sad, miserable, angry, but I'm numb. I've never been so numb and uncaring and unfeeling. I'm not even scared about it.

Not sure where this is going. I just wanted to tell someone how I feel. I don't really have anyone to talk to where I am. Just the idea of some friendly people to listen to me is making me share this...

Clare_63
25-08-06, 17:05
Hi Eloise sorry your exams didnt go to plan. In my opinion you arent a failure - a failure is someone who doesnt attempt something in the first place, you did and you can only learn from the experience (",)

Take care

Clare :)

Obstacles are those horrible things you see when you take your mind off your goals (",)

scoobygirl2005
25-08-06, 17:20
Hi Eloise.

Sorry your exams didn't go well. I remember when I got my GCSE results and I was upset with them because I didn't do too well. You are not a failure at all. I guess you did your a levels at school in the sixth form? Perhaps you could go to college instead as it may be better for you, you can do a levels there too but the system is different and you get a lot more freedom there.

Scooby2005
x x

polly daydream
25-08-06, 17:21
Hi, never mind just try again, you are not a failure well done for trying, you will get there in the end, never give up.

Take care,

Polly

Piglet
25-08-06, 18:52
I don't want to diss exams, as obviously they do have a big importance but some of the most successful people in the world don't have a paper qualification to their name.

We need drive and determination and plenty of enthusiam to get where we want to go and as they say it's never to late to learn.

When you have had time to absorb this development you can sit down and think where is it you would like to be in 5 years time and see how that can be achieved.

Don't evaluate your worth on the basis of how many qualifications you have in life, as there are so many more worthwhile qualities to you than that.

Big hugs, chin off the floor and eat a chocolate biscuit :D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Lindalou64
25-08-06, 18:54
sorry to hear about your exams but you are not a failure by all means just keep ya chin up and maybe you can take thenm againor the next ones you will be ready no what ya in for,,,best of luck[8D]

tnt808
25-08-06, 19:50
Very well said Nigel and Piglet.

I agree wholeheartedly with their posts. It's true that we define ourselves by such trivial things at times. I am not by any means trying to downplay the importance of the exams, it's just that a couple exams doesn't make the whole of us.

Just push on through and I wish you all the luck in the world for next time!

Take Care of You,

Tina

LockedShut
25-08-06, 20:23
Thanks so much for all of your replies. They really helped. Nice to have understanding people there for me.

I've talked it over with my family and I'm starting to try to figure out a plan. This was my second go at college, having been to a different one two years ago, and taking a gap year in between. I guess college isn't for me!

I'm trying to keep my humour and try to be lighthearted. Thinking positive, which I've never done before. Takes time, I guess.

But thanks to all of you for your help and comfort. I'll just get back with trying to work out a plan.

xo

LockedShut
25-08-06, 21:56
Oh and Piglet, I haven't got any chocolate biscuits, so I'll have a custard cream instead! :)

Piglet
25-08-06, 23:20
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

brenda
26-08-06, 11:25
Well my daughter didnt take any exams as she was off school with agoraphobia/anxiety.
She is now a web designer and earning good money.
She started off with a company doing small amounts and gradually learned on the job how to do the designs.
She now has a full time job designing and does so private contract work designing.
If I were you I wouldnt worry about it. Go out and get a job doing something you like doing even if you have to start at the bottom

Richard Branson and John Major didnt get A levels and look what they acheived.

Do some web designs for friends or something and get known.
You are a great designer.
Maybe you took the wrong subjects in the exams. I dont know what you took but perhaps you should have done designing or something

Hugs
Pam

LockedShut
26-08-06, 12:54
Thanks for you reply, Pam. Your daughter seems to have done really well. Being a web designer is probably the only thing I can consider doing with my life. It's daunting the idea of starting from the beginning.

I was taking IT this year, and I was so confident. (I mean, just check out my website!) I thought I'd get a B or a C. But I got an E. My most loathed of all letters.

It felt like I was lousy at the one thing I am bloomin' good at! Like always, I'm blaming myself. My friends are reassuring me that our teachers sucked and the lessons were badly organised, and that I'm not the only one with a bad grade, worse than they were expecting.

Web design seems like something I could enjoy. And there aren't many things I enjoy right now.

Thanks for the advice, and support, all of you.
Take care
xo

eeyorelover
26-08-06, 19:49
I have a thing about quotes. I tend to look them up to make myself feel better when something goes wrong. So I thought I would post a few about failing for ya to read.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing.

Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Hope it helps a little :)
xxx
Sandy

LockedShut
26-08-06, 21:18
Thanks Sandy. I've saved those quotes and put them in huge FUNKY letters... I need to try looking at failing from a slightly positive side, than just negative...

thanks again
xo