PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with gluten intollerance

Anxious lu
23-12-12, 17:24
I did a bit of research because I often get really bloated and after spending a few days in Rome my tummy was so bloated I looked pregnant.

I came across a gluten intolorrance as my fave food is pasta and bread that's all I ate in Rome.. So symptoms I get that matched:

Bloatedness
Mild tummy cramps
Joint aches
Fatigue
Mood swings
Loose stools (only sometimes) in Rome certainly

I think there were others I can't remember

After I eat I get so tired I need to nap straight away.

My nails are brittle and hair is malting so I'm wondering if this is causing an inability to metabolise the nutrients I need.

I don't get these symptoms all the time which is why I considered an intolorrance as things were majorly highlighted in Rome..

Does anyone have any experience with this as I am a tad worried.

ell1877
23-12-12, 18:42
Hi I have coeliac disease and have to follow a gluten free diet if you're concerned ask your go for a blood test n explain your theory maybe keep a diary for a couple of weeks but don't cut out gluten from your diet as I know the blood test might no show a true reading

I've been on the diet for 22 years now its not too bad x

Anxious lu
23-12-12, 19:24
Thanks for the reply. I hope it is that because I'm fearing ms ATM I get pins and needles randomly in my toes too now and ten that lasts a few minutes then stops.. Along with random body muscle twitches..

I will see the doctor in the new year as if it's gluten intolorrance I want to enjoy Christmas food lol

Sammy J
25-12-12, 00:07
I was convinced I have coeliac but got the blood results yesterday and they've come back clear. I too have all the symptoms and was seeing a gastro consultant for 2 years.

I think I'm going to cut gluten out anyway to see if it makes a difference.

Edie
25-12-12, 13:31
It does sound like a possibility. I would recommend getting tested for coeliac before cutting out gluten, as if you have coeliac you can get some GF foods on prescription. Coeliac disease can lead to nutrient deficiencies because the gut cannot absorb them. As you have some signs of nutrient deficiencies, you're sensible to see the doctor about this. The only way to tell for sure if you have non-coeliac gluten intolerance is cut it out and see what happens.

I experimented with a GF diet to see if it would help my gut symptoms. It helped a lot, but also helped with mood and energy levels. Like you, I was also sleeping after eating.

Good luck, I hope you get some answers soon!

Anxious lu
25-12-12, 22:33
Thank you for tw advice I certainly will be making a visit to the doctor in the new year.