PDA

View Full Version : another worry someone has given me!

HB
11-06-04, 16:33
Hello everyone,

From my vomit phobia, I have recently been told that i probably have O.C.D, i wash my hands till they are sore, change the sheets on my bed everyday, i have to say goodnight to everyon in the house before bed to make sure they are well, i wont go out without water, i tap my leg and the list goes on and on... can anyone tell me how they are getting through it?

I was ok till someone told me i had it, now im obsessed with it![?]

H

Meg
11-06-04, 16:39
The question is -
How would you cope if you couldn't change your sheets every day .
Can you stop or shorten one or two of your hand washing episodes.

Are they strong habits or are they essential to your life ?

Saying goodnight ,water and tapping are all reasonable everyday behaviors.

WE all have foibles and things we need to be in control of.

OCD is when these get out of all perspective.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

paul
15-06-04, 17:48
hello h , i have ocd too.

i check things as well,make sure things are done the right way,wash my hands probably too often along with other rituals.i was quite amazed too when i found out it was a recognised condition.i thought it was just me doing crazy things.

the thing is it is treatable ,but it can be hard.ive had some success in the past,and made some improvements.if you havent considered therapy yet i'd recommend it.the therapy i did involved resisting the rituals and staying with feeling uncomfortable.its hard and like i said i did overcome some of it,its sticking with it thats tricky.

good luck with whatever you decide to do ,i myself am waiting for more treatment soon.

all the bets

paul

HB
15-06-04, 20:55
yes i am having treatment at the moment but it doesnt help me to talk to someone who has never had my problems, i find it much better to talk to someone like you- who recognises what i am going through.

My hand washing has been awful since this hot weather started, have you noticed it too??

would appreciate any advice you have for me xxx

H

lazaru
21-06-04, 14:41
i felt really assured when i discovered i might have ocd, i dont suffer from any compulsions.tics etc just obsessive thoughts/anxirty/panic....it stopped me from thinking i was going mad.

HB
24-06-04, 20:49
my ticks are awful, ive never had them so bad but it is exam time so i guess that must be the reason

H