PDA

View Full Version : non medical remedies which have helped me.

lo89
24-12-12, 11:56
Hey everyone,
My anxiety is not too bad just now, so I thought I would share my new night time routine which really helped, some of you will know how bad I get at times so for me to say that something is working must mean it is really good! I am not going to explain all the hard stuff, like not googling etc because tbh when I am really anxious, I really can't stop myself, but these things are all easy to do and cheap, and really work!
Most of them are to get me a good nights sleep as when I am well rested I tend to have less symptoms and worry less. I will post then in the order which I do them each day.

Firstly, switch off your mobile phone, t.v., or anything that can distract you, for about an hour before going to bed. I usually put a chillout c.d. on quietly.
Run a bath with some bath salts and bubbles. I use radox but there are loads, the best ones have lavendar. I put the light out and burn candles, and usuay read a chapter of a book in the bath.
I then have a glass of tonic water as the quinine in it really stops my leg cramps through the night. I usually mix it with a bit lime cordail just for the taste.
I then eat a small banana or some brazil nuts before bed, the potassium actually makes you sleep better through the night. I used to be up 2-3 times a night at least, but when I do that I sleep much better.
Then I apply some pulse point sleep cream from the Body Shop to my wrists, and spray the pillow mist on my bed. Everyone in my family swears by this!
Clipper make a brilliant herbal sleeping tea, called sleepeasy, it costs about £1 odds for a box, doesn't taste the nicest (it is drinkable) but two cups in the hour or so before bed helps me get to sleep.

I hope this helps someone else because sleepless nights from worry are horrible, I am so glad I manage to do this now - I still have the odd wobble, but on the whole it is much much better.

EnterTheFlea
24-12-12, 16:50
I find that hot baths, and hot drinks calm me down! But I also find the best method is distraction. Normally I distract myself by having my laptop, phone, PS Vita and Kindle around me so there is always something to distract my mind! This is probably a bad habit but I find distracting from the panic attack is the best method when Im having a full blown attack!