PDA

View Full Version : Anyone suffer from SAD?

Wolfie
24-12-12, 20:22
Hey folks,

I'm usually not one to come onto the forum and unload how I'm feeling, regardless of how bad I get, but I just really need to at the moment. Yeah, I know that it's christmas tomorrow, but I really can't get into the swing of things. Everyone seems to be so excited for tomorrow, but I just can't see to feel excited or happy about it.

My SAD has a history of getting pretty bad at this time of the year, usually I can get to grips with it, but this time, it's just not that easy. This is probably going to sound so morbid and depressing, but right now, there's nothing more comforting than just being in the darkness, in my room. I realise I should be doing the opposite to what I'm feeling, I realise that I shouldn't be indulging in activities which enhance the depression that I'm feeling right now, it just feels so...much better than fighting it. I hope that makes sense.

I usually have a fear of the dark and this is how I know that I'm sinking back into a depressive episode - when I have no fear at all of the dark, but more of a need for it, it's so tempting just to sit/lay here and let it consume my entire body, just pretend that I don't exist, just to float in nothingness.

Anyone here at NMP who can relate? Anyone here who can understand what I'm feeling? Or even empathise with it? I just feel so alone inside. Everyone around me just seems to be so gleeful...and I'm not sure if I can keep up the pretence that I'm ok and happy. I'm quickly running out of strength.

Chris

Annie0904
24-12-12, 20:41
Do you have a light box? I always use mine during the winter months.

Wolfie
24-12-12, 20:46
No Annie, it's something I've never invested in, the most recent years I've had the strength to overcome what I feel like doing and get out and about and keep myself as occupied as possible, hence why I've never gotten one. How stupid am I, lol. Ah well :(

Annie0904
24-12-12, 21:41
I notice the difference when I use it.

Wolfie
24-12-12, 21:48
Thanks Annie, will look into getting one.

BobbyDog
25-12-12, 05:46
I have a sad light box, I think it's Philips Lumie. I have only just started using it since the dark mornings and early sunset. I noticed an improvement in my mood almost straight away after switching it on. It simulates daylight, it feels as though the sun is shining through the window and enveloping your body. As I said, I am already feeling the benefit, but the long winter will be the real test.

Have a look at all the reviews for the different light boxes on Amazon.

Anxious_gal
25-12-12, 14:49
How do you find the light on your eyes?
Do you notice an improvement?

I'd say a lot if us or most people even feel more down in winter.
I think it triggers off a sort of hibernation frame of mind.

Maybe taking some extra vitamin D could help?
I remember reading we need ten minutes of sunshine on our skin, so even sitting near a window might help.

My bedroom gets all the sun in the day time, I've always liked that.
Sometimes you don't notice how dark it can get inside your home as your eyes just adjust to it.
I hear you can get SAD type light bulbs to replace the regular bulbs.
Regular bulbs have an awful orange glow, I'm not a fan of those energy saving ones as they seem to slowly fade over time, until you notice you can't even read due to the bad light.

Sorry you're having a down day.
If its SAD surely it's worth investing in a light box even if its just a small hand held one.
I've not seem them for sale here, only online but they are expensive :( but worth saving up for if it can help.

Take a look on amazon, they often have sales and free delivery.
You should do something nice for yourself today even if its just a hot bath or a good meal.

Sometimes I love when I can sleep or doze, just get under the covers, due to my anxiety I guess I love being so relaxed I can simply sleep.
I view sleeping as an escape sometimes.
Even better when I have nice dreams or I might day dream but to excess.
On a bad I can get angryish when I wake up and can't go back to sleep.
Then I feel bad for wasting so much time in bed.

But just be kind to yourself, if you need to sleep then do but don't forget about your other needs too! Hunger, love, social contact, fun, fresh air and so on

Wolfie
25-12-12, 19:50
Thanks Bobby - will deffo have a look! :)

Also thanks anxious_gal, you're right - it's deffo worth investing in a light box and I'll be sure to have a proper look. Have been trying to be as nice as I can to myself, but it can be hard not to be critical of myself for sleeping more, etc, but I definately get what you mean about viewing sleep as an escape at times, it stops the thinking processes we have to go through and might even allow us to dream of nice things, then I feel guilty for sleeping so much, it's a vicious cycle! lol. Will also deffo try to remember my other needs - you're so right.

Thanks folks :)

Chris

Annie0904
25-12-12, 19:54
This is the one I have http://www.britebox.co.uk/

NoPoet
25-12-12, 21:22
Hi, indirectly the weather causes another problem, commonly known as cabin fever. This is basically when we are stuck indoors due to the horrible weather. It can really grate to go through the same routine. I used to call this the Groundhog Day effect when I was really ill with anx and couldn't live a normal life. There is nothing abnormal about feeling ground down, agitated, angry and moody when you're stuck in the same place with the same people.

I have been very irritable and somewhat aggressive these last couple of months, but before that I was generally friendly and laughed a lot. The weather has definitely been a deciding factor. Therapists see a huge increase in the need for support during this time of year. Ask your doctor or therapist, I bet they'll admit they get inundated during November-February at least.

So while this kind of behaviour is linked to depression and anxiety, there are natural causes for it which you must not let yourself take the blame for. It is possible to suffer symptoms of depression because of the environment (eg weather, being stuck in the same place every day, unhappy job, etc) even though you may be clinically depressed for other reasons.

So that would mean your current depressive symptoms are not a relapse, they are brought on by new circumstances.

I am still researching how to cope with SAD and depression in general. I will report back with my findings as usual.

Ingenious
26-12-12, 01:04
I'm a fellow SAD sufferer - it usually starts when the clocks go back.

If you invest in a light box it really should be a good one - I use and recommend a "britebox" as annie0904 also links too - they're brilliant. You have to get something that mimics daytime sunlight (in terms of light levels) or you're wasting your time.

Because it gets dark before 4pm now, on days I don't get up till say 10 or 11am then I only get a few hours light and not bright light either, so the SAD box is brilliant. You just spend 30mins a day in front of it (though I don't use it on days I've been out in the sun for a while, say on a walk).

It really helps me a lot and I feel better within a few days of using it.

I would add that for me there was a definite "cause and effect" over several years with me noticing mood and energy dropping in the winter and then reversing when using the SAD light. It's also one of many things in the arsenal against depression and anxiety - don't forget exercise, good diet and medication where appropriate too.

Wolfie
26-12-12, 14:32
Cheers guys, looking up for a britebox as we speak, I'll be well prepared for next year!

Tessar
26-12-12, 15:02
Hi Wolfie; I sympathise as i suffer with SAD. You are right about the nature of depression making you indulge in activities which make depression worse. It makes total sense to me what you say. The general advice given by others here is very good. If I may add my two penneth (forgive any repeated info/advice)...... Getting out for a walk every day is important - even if it's just 20 mins - no staying in doors all day, thats an absolute no no. Even dull winter fresh air is good for you, even if it's raining - get yourself out there.
Did you get to order a britebox? I ask since you can start using it now - its not too late this year & leading into next year to start using it. It'll definitely help you immediately. I do recommend you get one.
My understanding with the lamps its best to use them in the morning. It is still effective using them in the evening but you mustnt use them after 6/7.00pm or they may stop you from going to sleep at your normal time. how long you need to use the lamp for depends on it's intensity. The more expensive ones usually need to be used for less time as they emit more light. Also - you must sit very close to the lamp too as the further away you are from the light source, the less helpful it will be. The light is best coming from above your eyes just the same as it would if the sun were shining. Its worth thinking about how you will sit to use the lamp since there are different designs available. SAD lamps should not emit UV light (I know mine doesnt as my glasses are photochromatic & dont change colour. My lamp is made by Lumie (it's a Brightspark which features here http://www.lumie.com/collections/light-therapy-sad).
My routine is get up 30 mins early for work & make myself sit next to it while reading for example or even while doing exercises - provided my eyes are close enough to get the light properly. Even my GP recommends these things now & partly he quotes me as a success story!
This is a good thread you might want to take a look at in case there's anything else on it you find helpful: "Anybody els get worst in winter???"
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=121854&highlight=seasonal+sad
Another one with fewer posts is.... "the weather "
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117806&highlight=sad+winter

Cocomademoiselle
27-12-12, 15:32
I have been trying a light box and I could not afford one but found out that you can HIRE one for £20 per month and send it back. If you want to buy it they will deduct the rental payments. "The Sad Light Hire Company" and it has all the medically approved devices Lumie, Brightspark etc etc. I cant for sure 100% its helping as I got it at a time when was feeling severely depressed so started medication too. I sometimes think it is worth a try and if it doesnt do anything you have only lost £20. They say you must use it every day though as if you dont it wont work, how true that is I dont know.

Annie0904
27-12-12, 15:54
I agree that you need to use it everyday through the winter months.

Tessar
27-12-12, 17:19
I have been trying a light box and I could not afford one but found out that you can HIRE one for £20 per month and send it back. If you want to buy it they will deduct the rental payments. "The Sad Light Hire Company" and it has all the medically approved devices Lumie, Brightspark etc etc. I cant for sure 100% its helping as I got it at a time when was feeling severely depressed so started medication too. I sometimes think it is worth a try and if it doesnt do anything you have only lost £20. They say you must use it every day though as if you dont it wont work, how true that is I dont know.
yes you def. have to use it daily &for a long enough period, sitting close enough to it. it's finding time to sit still & use it. though there are (more expensive) versions available i believe which are like a baseball cap & have the light under the peak so you can walk around using it!

fishman65
29-12-12, 18:06
I've not been diagnosed as suffering with SAD,however I will say that whenever I've been at my worst,it has been in the winter months.I'd argue that there is a combination of factors including both the lack of sunlight plus the cabin fever effect mentioned in previous posts.

I think the bottom line is that anxiety just doesn't seem so bad in the summer for me.