PDA

View Full Version : Hi, advice needed.

amitheonlyone
26-12-12, 03:16
Hello Im 26 year old female from UK. Been on Fluoroxetine for 10 years.
How do you convince a GP that you need stonger meds? I only ever get given a week's worth of Diazapam (7x2mg).... I dont give a crap about addiction, I just want to live my life anxiety-free. I see a lot of posts on this site saying they are prescribed 20+mg a day of diazapam. What do you need to tell the GP for them to prescribe you this as opposed to a week's supply. My anxiety is crippling, yet no doctor takes me seriously. It's as if they'd rather me turn to alcohol than risk their medical career/judgement. "Diazapam is addictive etc" - I dont care - id rather be addicted to it than live my life in constant severe anxiety and hell. Have severe anxiety I battle with every single bleeding day - yet GPs are afraid to give me anything like Diazapam that might actually see me through the next few months. That, or I become an alcoholic. I hate my life. Someone, help me. I'm already drinking too much to escape the anxiety.

nomorepanic
26-12-12, 03:27
Hi amitheonlyone

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

wazza
26-12-12, 04:12
god, that sounds like me. i have had to beg on my knees for diazies. literally. but the docs wont give me any even when i said its either diaz or i start drinking again. i got it down to 8 *2mg tabs to see of an attack, that was 3 months ago. now nothing. sod it i think sometimes

Baggs
26-12-12, 09:09
Have you considered switching from Prozac to an anti-d with sedative properties? Mirtazapine is the most well-known of these. Right now Duloxetine is working for me and, although it doesn't have sedative properties, it has certainly helped me relax. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

lleksam
27-12-12, 00:51
Cymbalta (Duloxetine) worked for me - Zyprexia will help with anxiety.

I just tell my doctor that a med isn't working and I want to change it, they listen. Just be firm.

As for benzo's they do not in my experience lead to a normal life.

Cocomademoiselle
27-12-12, 15:21
I know how you feel re: Diazepam my GP will only give 7 x 2mg !! If I have a full on panic attack I need to take at least 4 of them to bring me out of it. A previous GP at an old practice had me on 2mg three times a day for 4 weeks but after that he said as Im not better had to consider an antidepressant and I was upset saying why could I not just stay on Diazepam. The reason they gave was that eventually you need more and more to feel normal and once you reach high doses then what ? You are not supposed to drive on them either. I feel your pain as its the only thing that takes away the pain. Maybe you should ask your GP if you can either switch or something to take alongside Fluoxetine ? I take Cipralex which is an SSRI like Fluoxetine and also take Mirtazapine 15mg at night or maybe there is something more suitable to go alongside Fluoxetine ? Your GP will probably be hesitent to prescribe 2 together so you could suggest him writing to your local psychiatrist to ask medication advice on what is best to prescribe if your GP is not sure. Good luck x