PDA

View Full Version : Derelazation and Depersonlization

LilyAnne
26-12-12, 17:18
Does anyone know how to stop this? Any stories about your personal experience? Or how you overcame it?

vitabelle
26-12-12, 18:59
hi, don't know how to overcome it but I am in the same boat as you it would seem. ive had it constant for a while its so horrible, im just trying to go day by day and do the best I can. I just try to accept it. I have bought some books, on meds and seeing a therapist. not sure what else to do. x

iamstrong
26-12-12, 19:05
Just wan to let you know I had this during my highest height of anxiety 10 years ago. And I rarely, if ever have had it since.
Try and accept that it is normal when you feel the way you do.
Once you get your anxiety under control it will disappear. I promise ;)

Mark13
26-12-12, 22:15
I've had derealisation for 34 years since a traumatic health event in my childhood (life-saving brain op.)

That said, persistent derealisation is extremely rare, most people recover quickly or have short episodes.

I found it hard for the first few years, as I was a kid and thought I was going insane (so I never mentioned it to my parents) but I learned to live with this perception of reality.

I've rarely had depersonalisation though, only for a few minutes or hours at a time, and if I look too long at myself in the mirror it makes me freak out a little :)

virgo199060
27-12-12, 01:02
I suffer with derealisation, not depersonalisation but I'm not sure how to overcome this but my personal coping method is to get in a familiar space. Like in your bedroom and stick a movie/programme on that you've seen countless times. It always helps me feel better in the situation.
Hope this helps. :)