PDA

View Full Version : Numbness

Nico
26-12-12, 18:18
Today I had a really weird thing when my little toes got pins and needles in it, and when I looked at it it was red! but not swollen. The whole episode lasted around 5mins and it is back to normal but made my health anxiety go through the roof. I don't know if I should go to the doctor because I have been diagnosed with anxiety many times and had blood test and pressure tests. These were all fine except my blood pressure which was high, but my GP suspects this is white coat syndrome. I am really scared it is a heart issue or some sort of blood clot, despite being only 17 and reasonably healthy. Can some one please help. Thanks

iamstrong
26-12-12, 18:54
I was struggling with pins and needles in both hands yesterday and therefore thinking I has some sort of neuro disease going on.
Pins and needles are very common to get but most people don't think twice about it because they are not over sensitive like us health anxiety people to sensations in their bodies.
You might have banged it or sat on it or walked with it funny and hence that happened. Think, as it disappeared, it clearly isn't anything dangerous. It would have not gone away and it would have become more painful and swollen if there was something serious.
Hope you feel better

Nico
26-12-12, 19:14
Thanks, sometimes I need someone to make me see rationally, health anxiety can be triggered by the smallest thing :wacko:, now I think about it I was sitting in a weird position

Anxious lu
26-12-12, 20:27
Was it that really sharp prickly type of pins and needles. Ive been getting this on and off in my toes sometimes one toe sometimes more.. It scares me so much but only lasts a few minutes then goes. I too haw had many many tests with nothing found but jumped to my circulation.. However I've been told my circulatory system is fine..

Glad I'm not the only one

iamstrong
26-12-12, 20:30
It is most likely just your body being tense that is causing it or how you sleep, sit, walk.
Even depends on the shoes you wear.
Very normal. ;)

Anxious lu
26-12-12, 20:32
I have noticed mine are red when I've looked but I do get it when wearing shoes usually. sometimes I wake up and have it but then I also noticed I bend my toes backwards on the bed .. Im sure it's something normal happening to us but it certainly doesn't stop me worrying!!

I am twitchy all over ATM too :-(

Nico
26-12-12, 20:41
anxious lu, yes exactly that, sharper than when your hand goes to sleep or something, I told my doctor about it and asked about poor circulation and she too all my pulses in arms, feet etc. and said I was fine

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

I have heard some people saying that anxiety can harmlessly mess with your circulation due to reasons such as more blood being pumped to your major muscles and heart, therefore meaning less blood in extremities, causing temporary numbness and coldness etc.. Anxiety it seems can also mimic any condition you are scared of, this is my theory anyway :)

iamstrong
26-12-12, 20:45
I have heard the same Nico.
And yes, anxiety gives you every symtpom under the sun.
Even though we know this it doesn't stop us worrying though does it!?
Frustrating isn't it.

Nico
26-12-12, 20:54
I know haha, I get all scared thinking I am ill, and then realised that according to my diagnosis I had, heart problems, undiagnosed asthma, aneurysm's, urinary tract infection, blood clot, brain tumour because I had symptoms of all, then I looked at the list and realised how ridiculous it was :D

Anxious lu
26-12-12, 21:59
I know right in the last 6 months I've had stroke, heart attack, HIV, ms, ALS, bowel cancer, brain tumour, TIA, the list is endless..

However I had all the symptoms of these without having a single one lol I'm only twenty I feel like a nutcase lol

Nico
26-12-12, 22:08
haha, I know, I spend days on end thinking about my new illness, until I realise it is impossible to have all these !

iamstrong
26-12-12, 22:16
Same here!
I have had brain tumors, meningitis, als, potential cancer etc
Als was the one that scared me the most. Some stupid nutritionist made me believe that a test result I had meant I might get that! When that wasn't the case at all!
That was only last week, thought I was going to die of stress.
Hope you are both illness free tonight! ;)

Nico
26-12-12, 22:43
haha thanks, this forum made my day, hope you all
are illness free as well :)