PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia... TERRIFIED RIGHT NOW!

MaryMac
26-12-12, 19:26
Hi everyone, and merry Christmas! (as merry as it can be at this time of year!!) Well I've spent Christmas with my sister and her family. She has 2 young daughters, the eldest is 3. I was already nervous about coming here because of norovirus and children are perfect breeding grounds. On our first night on the 22nd, the oldest was up with a temperature and was quite restless. Since then she has been off her food but not acting as though she is really unwell. However, today she has had diahorrea several times, not really BAD, and in between she is absolutely fine. My sister says not to worry, it's just the virus getting out of her system, and even though I know the onset of noro is very sudden, I'm sitting shaking like a leaf. I'm leaving tomorrow but what makes it worse is that I've to get a flight to go on holiday first thing! Now I'm double panicked, because I hate flying so much and am worried that I'll get ill on the plane or whilst I'm away. GOD I HATE THIS. I KNEW COMING HERE WAS A BAD IDEA!!!
I've been hugging my niece and kissing her, and she seems happy enough, but she did a big burp earlier and they thought she was going to be sick but she hasn't so far thankfully. But God, I want to get out of this place!! Her younger sister who is 1 is absolutely fine.

HELP!!!!

Oh no... sister has just came to tell me that she's been sick... ARGGHHH!!! She said she feels so much better now and seems alot happier but God, I'm never sleeping tonight. I even want to cancel my holiday now, I don't want to risk it!! Jesus!!!

Angelai
26-12-12, 23:17
oh MaryMac how terrible for you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I don't know if this will help any - with your niece being so young I think it's more likely to be a rotavirus rather than noro - apparently almost all of us will have been exposed to it as young children, and it cause no or very VERY mild illness in adults (as in, maybe a slightly looser poo). I will look it up again and try to post you a link xxx

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Right, rotavirus is the most common cause of gastroent. in young children, and -

"Most adults who are infected with rotavirus will not develop symptoms of the virus."

Meaning, even if taking all normal precautions (bleach, mask, gloves, running away!) doesn't save you, you're very unlikely to get any symptoms.

Hope this helps a little honey xxx

MaryMac
27-12-12, 22:34
oh MaryMac how terrible for you :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I don't know if this will help any - with your niece being so young I think it's more likely to be a rotavirus rather than noro - apparently almost all of us will have been exposed to it as young children, and it cause no or very VERY mild illness in adults (as in, maybe a slightly looser poo). I will look it up again and try to post you a link xxx

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Right, rotavirus is the most common cause of gastroent. in young children, and -

"Most adults who are infected with rotavirus will not develop symptoms of the virus."

Meaning, even if taking all normal precautions (bleach, mask, gloves, running away!) doesn't save you, you're very unlikely to get any symptoms.

Hope this helps a little honey xxx

Thanks for the response! :) I actually had to put off my holiday for a couple of days due to other reasons, so that helped calm me down slightly. My niece wasn't sick again wanted to eat this morning but was quite tired. I know if it was noro it would have been so much worse than it was. I'd bought lots of anti viral gels, because I know they kill noro and my family have been using them religiously so hopefully if it is infectious, no-one will get it!! Still got another day or so to see if I'm safe! Hate this phobia. Ruins everying. :(

Grape
27-12-12, 22:43
Hi MaryMac .. know just how you feel and we're all 'in it' with you. I'm just as bad! Just wish someone would find something to help us all. Iced Diamond's posting was good and I just keep reading that to calm me. Best of luck .. am sure you'll be o.k.

betsylu
31-07-13, 05:05
I used to have really really bad emetophobia and it is still pretty bad, but I've found some things help me. I don't know if they will help others, but I thought I'd post just in case!

First, try to get more comfortable talking about it. Start using more descriptive words when talking about your phobia, try talking about it to more people, etc. It's scary at first, and just go at a speed that is comfortable to you. Any steps is good progress!

Once you feel comfortable talking about it, expose yourself to it a little more, but at a safe distance. Watch cartoons of it, then actual videos or still pictures when you can handle it. Don't rush it.

And if you are feeling nauseous and panicking, tell yourself things like "if I throw up it won't be the end of the world. It might suck, but I will feel a lot better. It's only a short time of discomfort and pain. I can handle that. I know this will make me feel better. My body is protecting me from toxins-it is natural to purge sometimes" rather than thinking "Oh my God I'm going to throw up and I'm so scared and I can't handle this!" Try putting on calming music. Also gravol and ginger really help me when I'm feeling super nauseous. Try sipping cool (not super cold) water slowly. Some people find that sucking on ice helps nausea.