PDA

View Full Version : Dry mouth and tight chest

iamstrong
26-12-12, 20:14
Hi all

So these are my new worries now.
I have had dry mouth for about a week - started when my anxiety was at its height and hasn't disappeared since. I also feel that my jaw and mouth feels funny sometimes but I think that I am clenching my jaw without realising it.
I am also getting pins and needles in both hands in the evening.
And I feel that my chest is getting tight and so am somehow thinking I am having an allergic reaction to something.
Very annoying this is!

Now, just to add. Both my boys have had a terrible cold. My eldest had croup and now they both have ear infections so maybe I have a mild version of their viruses. I have also been awake a lot in the night with them (although I haven't slept through for almost 4 years now).
I have also been very stressed and am very tight in my shoulders.
Also, our house is very warm and dry and I realised I am allergic to our xmas tree as my hands started burning and tingling when I decorated it earlier in the month and my eyes and throat became itchy.

Can anyone reassure me please?

AuntieMoosie
26-12-12, 22:18
Hello :)....I love your username :)

Yes it sounds like you may have a few things going on at once here.

I know that when I have to start using my central heating I get dry throat and dry eyes, I'm usually found lingering around my front door every now and then just trying to take in some moist air :)

You may have picked up the virus from your children too, I know how much kids spread things......mine were always more than willing to share what ever they had with me :wacko:

If you have a real Christmas tree, it could well be that you're a bit sensitive to it, hence the itchy eyes.

Anxiety and panic can cause a very dry mouth hun, If I feel anxious mine dries right out making my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth sometimes. I keep chewing gum and boiled sweets in as these seem to help me.

The pins and needles and tight chest sound to me like classic anxiety. If you're all tense, especially your upper limbs, you can get pins and needles n your hands, it's to do with the nerves I think.

I hope this helps hun and I hope that you feel better soon :) :hugs:

Mark13
26-12-12, 22:22
My own personal opinion of course (no substitute for a GPs appointment) but it sounds like you're over-breathing without realising it, plus you're clenching your jaw as you said (something I'm doing a lot of lately).

From emedicinehealth site:
"Hyperventilation syndrome may result in swallowing excessive air. This results in the following abdominal symptoms:

Bloating
Burping
Passing excess gas
Pressure sensation in the abdomen

Also, anxiety with increased air movement through the mouth can cause a dry mouth feeling."

"Overbreathing can also cause the calcium levels to drop in your blood, which may result in the following nervous system symptoms:

Numbness and tingling (usually in both arms or around the mouth)"

HTH

Mark

iamstrong
26-12-12, 22:50
Thank you both for your replies.

Mark - I hadn't thought about over breathing. I had read that some people do but didnt think I did. Maybe I do as the symptoms Are exactly what you listed. I have the numbness and tingling in my lips too.

Will try and breath normally. If I can..;)