PDA

View Full Version : Aching arms and legs

Angieb17
26-08-06, 12:28
Hi everyone, first time posting although I have just introduced myself on the other board.

For just over a week now I have had aching arms and legs, even to the point now where they actually hurt.

Been to doctors at the beginning of the week and had blood tests done; Full Blood Count, Anemia, Thyroid and Hormones all came back clear. My wonderful doctor said it may be a virus. Panadol and Ibuprofen don;t seem to make any difference. Can anyone relate to these symptoms as I can;t get it out of my head that it could be MS.

I don't exercise and have been finished work since April, so not much activity in general, just off due to HA.

I would appreciate any comments or help.

Many thanks
Angie

Mystie
26-08-06, 13:12
Hi Angie, My arms don't ache but my legs are SO bad, they ache everyday, its been weeks and I have no clue why. Sometimes its my thighs , sometimes the calfs, but always seems to be there. I have a doc who is treating me for anxiety, but she hasn't done any blood work on me. I told her last visit my legs were aching bad and she blew it off?
Like you, I too am worried about it being something aweful. Maybe circulation problems?
I hope you feel better soon and get some relief, if you find out any more please post and let me know. I'am at the point where I'm just too afraid now to even know what is going on with me.

Mystie

pinkpenny1uk
26-08-06, 13:38
hi angie,
i don't get much aching in my actual arms. mine is more my shoulder area radiating round to my bust. at one point i was totally convinced i had breast cancer.
i also get alot of aching in my legs. it seems to spread around. at one point it could b in my calves(poss dvt) another in my ankles(atherities).
sometimes i get tingling in them as well (ms)

my gp did me s full range of blood tests (crp,bone density, thyroid full blood count etc) they all came back normal.

he says its all down to my anxiety and has suggested i try something like tai chi to try and help.

wishing u all the best

pp

Jem27
26-08-06, 15:09
I have just had bloods done and i suffer with achy arms & legs, all my bloods were normal too so I think its anxiety.

Jo3016
28-08-06, 10:03
I have very achey legs - they are just a dull ache like a sort of crampy feeling that is in my thighs and calves. Sometimes it is a lot worse than others. My left side is particularly bad - my shoulder blade, arm and leg. I have just started going to a chiropractor because of my back problems and she has said that my left side is extremely tense.

My doctor says it is another symptom of stress although, to be honest, think she is getting a bit fed up with me. She hasn't referred me to anyone this time regarding this and my palpitations. I have had it for years though and my bloods and blood pressure is fine.

As far as aching is concerned, I have found that walking, having a warm bath and drinking lots of water does help.

Jo Fitzgerald

lainey
28-08-06, 10:35
Hi Angie

I suffer quite a lot with achng arms, which is one of my main symptoms at the moment, it's all down to anxiety chuck.
Due to the anxiety, the muscles in your neck and shoulders tense up which then affects the muscles in your arms, so relaxation is the key to alleviating the symptoms.

Take care

Elaine x

Piglet
28-08-06, 12:38
I get this too but not quite as badly as I used to years ago.

Often it could be organic in cause like if we are fighting off all the different bugs that are around etc.

Or it could be simple tension in all the muscle groups - yoga helps tremendously with this.

Or simple tiredness as being anxious really takes it out of you.

I would recommend just a tad more exercise actually if your doctor has given you the all clear. Obviously the old one of walking is great but one that has been really good for me is jogging on my mini rebounder. It's gentle and very low impact but it gets me moving.

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Angieb17
28-08-06, 13:36
Thanks for allyour responses. I do also suffer with cervical spondylosis and have trouble with dizziness and aching shoulders and neck, so maybe it has something to do with it too.

Today they are not that bad although feel as though the blood running through them is cold. My feet sometimes go a bit blue too.

I will try and do a bit more exercise, I find that if I start to walk i get so far and then can't wait to get home again. Sometimes I percivere and carry on, but more often than not i go back home. Warm baths do help also.

I am so pleased i have found this website, it does help.

Thanks again

Love Angiex

jadeyjade
09-02-09, 20:32
im only 18 and i too get this :(

ang1
28-05-09, 21:30
Hi
yes i too have been having aching arms and legs for the last 2 months and it too is a pain which roams.
Sometimes the pain starts with with feet being freezing cold which than turns to pain.
I had health anxiety for a year and a half.

mypilgrimsoul
31-05-09, 10:36
hi,

over about twenty years i have seen a nimber of doctors who have told me i was suffering from stress, that there was nothing physically wrong with me etc etc.

then i saw another doctor who actually listened to me and didn't write of as a hypochondriac and say it was 'stress', and my constant tiredness and shortness of breath have metamorphasized into auto-immune thyroid disease and angina...
well, well, well!

my angina pain presents in my left jaw which is more usual in women than pain the the arm and chest. it is like toothache which i had always assumed it to be. women can also get angina pain in the back & shoulder.

i also get aching legs for which there seems to be no treatment available from the doctor since the banning of co-proxamol.

in desperation, i tried rubbing cuprofen gel onto the backs of my knees and have found this helps quite a lot. this may help some of you.

best wishes to everyone.

lauren6
31-05-09, 15:35
Whether you call it anxiety or stress, keeping our muscles in a tense state of contraction can lead to pain. In my case, they diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. I started doing progressive muscle relaxation exercises which makes you so aware of how tense we are keeping our muscles. As you're reading this, notice if your shoulders are not completely relaxed, like a rag doll. I bet they're a bit tense. When you do these exercises, you don't even have to consciously be aware...after a while, it becomes a habit.

I worked with one of the best rheumatologists, even did research for him going as far back as the 1700s. People with fibromyalgia (they called it rheumatism and other things back then) have a definite personality. Good people, sensitive people that just have a hard time in this world. Now while you may not have full fledged fibromyalgia, it can all come down to muscle tension. They muscles can go just so long like this and they start to cramp up. One of my friends can get a phone call from one of her kids that disturbs her and her back gets a spasm within seconds.

Please get the MS out of your mind...it does not start this way. Look up progressive muscle relaxation, get a good tape or CD and try to undo this before it becomes a chronic problem. Healing hugs xoxo

Tink
01-06-09, 18:10
Hello
I get this quite alot mostly in my arms and legs. Seem to be getting it in my shoulders too. I have had all the blood tests and they say to do with anxiety. Also had mri scan and that was clear.

lorac
01-06-09, 19:33
Im so pleased to read this thread because I have lately been suffering with this aching leg problem, I get slight tingling in mine also. I have no problem when I am walking but when I sit for longer periods my legs feel a little heavy and ache. I have always suffered with tight shoulders and really do keep practising relaxing them and have alot of tension in my neck so I do think this symptom is one of stress and anxiety.

chrisi2009
11-06-09, 14:27
Just like with me,if i'm walking around i dont have any pain,but if i'm sat down i do have pain.Its always my left side.Today i have been doing some excercise as i tend to be very lazy and sit about

tim73
10-08-09, 20:56
I get sort of occasional throbbing dull aches in my arms mostly and sometimes legs. Tends to be the left arm mostly which of course sets off alarm bells, but doc reckons it's all anxiety. Had a panic attack last year with chest pains, palpitations and some arm ache and after freaking out so much, ended up going to A&E in the middle of the night. They did ECG and bloods and effectively said there's nothing wrong with me and packed me off.

After a number of visits to the doc and finding places like this site I'm fairly certain it's anxiety really.

However, does anyone know if angina can occur with normal blood pressure? I always assumed that you'd have high blood pressure if you have angina, but my bp is very normal so I think that would rule out angina? Also I don't get the chest pains any more and I don't get the aches during exercise (nor do I get breathless during exercise), and I do a fair bit of exercise (walking and mountain biking). After exercise I do get some weird effects sometimes though, but I have a possible H. pylori infection which may be causing many of my symptoms.

I had read somewhere that one cause of angina other than dodgy arteries is anxiety. i.e. the arteries can be healthy, but the stress of anxiety causes the constriction of blood or whatever. If that's true, is it dangerous? Almost everything you read says anxiety won't kill you.

I do feel these days that all these aches are muscular though. Just there's always a nagging concern that it could be something else.

Utility
10-08-09, 21:12
Hi tim73,

That's the problem with "reading somewhere" and then getting in a state over misleading information. Focus on the facts and ignore the what ifs, they will only make you worry for no reason. You have been examined by you doctor and the hospital. What was their conclusion? Anxiety.

Your aches and pains are very similar to mine and it is all anxiety related. It won't kill you.

Dianesacco
21-08-09, 17:54
Thanks for allyour responses. I do also suffer with cervical spondylosis and have trouble with dizziness and aching shoulders and neck, so maybe it has something to do with it too.

Today they are not that bad although feel as though the blood running through them is cold. My feet sometimes go a bit blue too.

I will try and do a bit more exercise, I find that if I start to walk i get so far and then can't wait to get home again. Sometimes I percivere and carry on, but more often than not i go back home. Warm baths do help also.

I am so pleased i have found this website, it does help.

Thanks again

Love Angiex
Hi Angie,

I too have spondolosis in my neck and get pain in my arms and back. My legs ache in the thighs and calves too.

I also get pins and needles in my right hand and even my eyes sometimes feel brused.

perhaps it is stress although I dont actually feel stressed.

My husband has MS and I keep checking how he felt, but his symptoms were different so I am sure its not that. But it is worrying.

ClassicAus
02-08-10, 03:25
Wow what an interesting read.
I am a 26yo Male of quite good health. Recently I have had pain in my arms, legs and shoulders and was beginning to worry. The pain is very similar to that experienced after too much exercise, like a muscle strain. I once had the pain in my arms from doing drunken hand stands on the beach. The pain has been around for a weeks in my calf, thighs, arms and shoulders, both sides all the time with an occasional selected pair or limbs to be the one that hurts the most at that time. I have avoided taking serious pain killers, but the small time stuff doesn't help. Now that I am realising it is not going away, I will try some muscle relaxant suggestions and see if I can start to treat myself. I have busted myself straining my shoulders and arms even whilst reading this thread.

tim73
02-08-10, 07:42
It's been a year since I last posted in this thread, and things have changed a lot. Essentially my worries have gone away and I've learnt to understand what these aches and pains are.

I've just recently confirmed the arm aches are definitely 100% to do with exercise, or more importantly injury from exercise, as I did some downhill mountain biking last weekend, came off twice and one definitely wrenched my arm. Since then the aches and pains in it are identical to what I had last year.

And what preceded all this when it kicked off last year? Yep, I'd got a new mountain bike and started doing more serious stuff on it.

What threw me I think was the aches were just nothing like I'd ever felt before and particularly the sharp stabbing & throbbing kind of pain inside the arm which I'd convinced myself must be something serious and not anything like muscle damage or a break/fracture. At the time I hadn't had an obvious injury, but mountain biking can be an aggressive sport on the arms.

Anyway, went through a whole load of stuff last year with visits to the doc and even a session with the councillor! I'm convinced now the whole thing was related to the bike stuff and I had convinced myself there was something else wrong, then I accepted that it could just be anxiety and then of course it became anxiety.

Eventually I worked out that it was all stupid and decided to deal with it I would actually get out and about more often, but more importantly I'd get out with groups of people. I met up with people mountain biking on a forum and from there we'd often go out on rides, we'd bump into other people, a lot of chatting, bit of exercise, etc. Likewise with my other passion of photography I went on photo meets thanks to another forum. Soon enough the whole anxiety thing went out the window and the pains just dissapeared.

The exercise is great for anxiety anyway, and it doesn't have to be as aggressive as what I do, and it can be a social activity. I'm surprised at just how friendly mountain bikers are. Seems to be a thing where you gather, chat, ride a little, chat a lot, bump into others, chat, ride a little, chat more, eat, drink, etc.

Anyway, now I have the pains again (oh, and bust up ribs!), but I just know what these are and they will go away eventually.

janeysmomma
30-11-10, 03:52
Have your Vitamin D checked. Blood test, have to ask for it seperately that regular tests. Now a days it is getting alot of awareness, so some doctors are looking but mos over look it.

jessicalittler79
30-11-10, 03:55
ive had sharp pains in my arms and legs befor iam not sure if ur pain was sharp it went away after awhile

violetta
02-06-11, 11:40
I am in my 80s and feel so desperate like Angie I have cervical spondylosis, for the past two or three years I have struggled through various stages of anxiety. now depression ..so many tests all clear,, various medications made my self walk and go out.. seen the mental health team who say I am my ow best therapist ..this last winter things got worse my legs are so weak now I can hardly walk and the dizziness and neck paiin has got worse now legs especiallly the left leg are bothersome I just dont know what to do with myself .. I was given Lyrica , Iam a virtual recliuseI do not seem to belong to to the proper world unable to focus on any thing positive ,, every thing I try to do to help myself is like banging my head against a brick wall ...iI just want to lie in bed and shut out everything. I am lucky my husband can look after me

hcarr
17-07-11, 23:25
Hi,

I am 25 years old and gave birth just 4 months ago. However the last four months my legs, neck. Knees, elbows and shoulders have been aching but so much I am in a lot of pain most days. Ofcourse my mind is telling me different things. One side its saying its all in my head and I shouldn't waste the doctors time as I seem to be a regular although there has always been a problem and the other side is screaming be careful ms. When I sit on the floor I can't stand up without some kind of support. . It's pretty scary. I hope somebody can reassure me or at least give me the kick I need to go to the doctors.

Greetings
H

Mooky19
11-09-11, 17:19
Hi,

Newbie here, so glad there are more people out there in a similar situation to me. I started with throbbing discomfort in my left temple, went to the doctors and had blood test for lots of things, all came back fine. Then about a month later i started getting lower back pain and cramping sensations in my right calf then tingling and dull aches in the thigh. This i was told was sciatica. Sometimes got waves of tingling (like a current) going through my legs, burning feeling (which had only happened the once) and then the crampy/ache/tingle moved to the other leg. At times it is difficult to walk due to the pain and would make me feel a little sick. Went back to a different doctor - got told muscle strain. About 2 weeks later i started getting a tight chest and then one night i had shortness of breath and thought i was going to pass out. The next doctor said it was stress. I have been refered to occupational health by work and she seems to think its anxiety.

I'm just really fed up of doctors, i don't mind them saying its anxiety but at least do some tests to rule anything else out. I think its the docs that are making me stressed :) lol.

Anyone have any tips of how to get noticed and taken seriously. I feel like everyone thinks i'm stupid and should just snap out of it.

Thanks.

Lucygirleen
14-09-11, 18:33
I'm 16 and I've started getting this. I had an ache in my arm for the past couple of days, but now it's gotten worse and my leg and the back of my neck/shoulders are really aching too. I don't really want to go to the doctors with it, but it's really sore. My mum thought it could be sitting at the computer in the same position for too long? I don't know, what should I do?

Tara222
26-01-12, 20:46
hi new here just found it thank goodness my arms are aching shocking and yes ive had auto immune thingy just had blood tests and waiting for results it gets annoying though as stopping me goin to part time job at mo due to ongoing colds. Dont have anxiety though so is it to do with virus as same thing happens in legs shoulders keep nipping too like muscle spasms doc just says its virus reaction? Trying good natural diet plenty fresh foods and vit supplements and walking out plenty but not gym as im 50 and dont want excess with viruses keeping coming good to meet with supportive folk as no one i know has had this.

trapax
27-01-12, 02:23
Hi everyone. I would like to know if anbody has experienced muscle pains in legs calves and forarms. I suffer from generalized anxiety and all these pains s tarted two months ago when I decided to change jobs to a proper bussiness.w ent to the doctor and he said that the pains are due to muscle tension. I am on alprazolam and valium. I just cant believe that anxiety can cause thes pains. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks to all

itsjustme
31-07-12, 20:52
Anyone experiencing these symptoms for more than 2-3 months should see a doctor right away and be screened for fibromyalgia

quinnell
15-02-13, 15:01
im the same aching legs and very bad lower back pain seem ok wen sitting down and when im up its the inbetween getting up i feel that im not going to make it up sometimes like im going to seize up again can anxiety do this even when i dont seem to be anxious is it in the subconsious i feel i also have ms its all to horrid...........

Brodd85
05-04-15, 20:02
Hi,
I've been told by my doctor that I'm suffering from anxiety... I have read a few of your posts and a lot of my symptoms seem to be the same.. It's so scary I'm in pain with aching legs everyday, I wake up every morning praying the pain will have gone but it's still there.. I'm tired and twitchy my joints hurt and my lower back and I'm also becoming depressed. The doctor has put me on a beta blocker and also trazadone??! But they don't seem to be working..
Does anyone else have these feelings? And is there anything you can do to help?
Thank you x

petemc
09-04-15, 20:57
First let me say that I am new to this site and found your post from a Google Alert for "aching legs".

I have been searching the Internet for 6 years looking for a cure for my aching legs. There isn't much out there, but I have found a few sites that give me some hope.

I have had every test and treatment possible with no results; my doctor tells me that we may never know what the problem is and that my continued treatment with pain pills is justified.

Here in the U.S. the doctors only believe in "structure" problems as the cause for most, if not all, symptoms.

I find it interesting that the English doctors have zoned in on anxiety as the cause because it fits right in with TMS, which I have determined to be to cause for my aching legs pain. Go to Amazon and purchase the book: “The Mindbody Prescription” – by Dr. John Sarno for more information.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Beefany
09-04-15, 23:13
Check out 'Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome'. It's basically subtle over breathing that can cause so many problems, including aching muscles. It's usually caused by anxiety and is often missed by Doctors. The best part - there is nothing wrong with you and it can be reversed.

petemc
10-04-15, 17:41
You may want to learn more about TMS at the tmswiki website. They also have a very large searchable forum on TMS. Search for aching legs. Good Luck.

Davit
10-04-15, 17:56
You know it could be as simple as low potassium. That one got me because it showed up in a routine blood test. I'm just under minimum and I was aching all over and had no energy. So I tried bananas which I don't like but my legs and arms are much better and I'm getting ten times as much done each day now. It was getting very depressing being tired sore and weak.

petemc
12-04-15, 19:44
Thanks for the reply Davit,

I have a blood test yearly and my potassium levels have always come back in the middle of the range. Even though, I have also taken potassium supplements with no improvements.

I have had some success with the TMS approach but still have aching legs all day long and especially at night. Yes, it is depressing.

Lilly13
17-04-15, 15:54
Hi I also get aching in arms and legs and even my wrists and fingers and ankles! I also have cracking in my ankles and wrists. Do you experience any muscle twitching? That is when my pains began

petemc
24-04-15, 23:27
Yes, but only a very few times; I have had my leg muscles to twitch when the legs aches gets very bad.

I'm taking pain pills so I can get up and walk around until time for the next pain pill. I am only able to sleep in 2 hour stretches before the leg pains force me out of bed or out of my recliner. The leg pain has taken over my life.

I'm going to try medical mj this Summer and try get get off the pain pills. Will have to move to another State as it is against the law in my State.