PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam long term?

Bonnibelle
27-12-12, 07:07
My GP offered me diazepam but only for 5 days. I refused as I said there would be little point as the anxiety would hit again afterwards.

I'm suffering extreme anxiety, panic, insomnia, weak limbs, feeling sick, social anxiety, agoraphobia.... After my brother attacked me in September my anxiety hit and I've been in a constant state of anxiety. In the last month it's got so much worse where I now struggle to go out.

I had a reaction to an SSRI drug 8 years ago, my GP says we as limited with meds. I've explained that I don't feel depressed although this constant state of anxiety is bringing me down alot, I want my life back! He suggested the trycilcic med I was on 8 years ago, Dosulepin, but admitted GPS don't like to prescribe it as it has a high risk of causing heart disease, this has put me off. I went back Monday and he had nothing else to suggest as apparently I'm too sensitive to medication.

I'd like to try diazepam, my mum said it worked wonders for her but my question is, can you take it for longer than 5 days? Why can't you take it long term for anxiety if it works?

ricardo
27-12-12, 07:21
Dear Pearl

It is interesting reading your situation.

I am also intolerant to all SSRI drugs and currently take propranololand valium when required .
Most GP's don't like to prescribe Valium for long term as it is very addictive,but in my case it works like an emergency pill and has a quick effect but the short term life is about 5 hours. I have maintained the same dosage for several years and it still has the desired effect.
The key is to take it half an hour or so before you have to do anything that might make you so anxious. not if you are having a small blip which may pass within a short time, but I can only speak for myself.

5 days dosage IMO is not the right answer, I would discuss this again with your GP.Good luck.

Bonnibelle
27-12-12, 07:33
Thank you.

I'm hoping to see my GP again soon as I'm left with no help. I've got co stat anxiety even at home,panic attacks etc... I feel it racing around my body all day:( it's not good, I've 3 children and I want to feel like me again for their sakes. My anxiety is worse when going out and I often go home feeling terrible after a trip to the shops, even if I've managed it.

I can't take SSRI meds, I'm limited and the one drug I know I'm ok with, GPS are now not advised to prescribe, I feel I m just left to cope alone, it's making my life a misery feeling this anxious:(

Mark13
27-12-12, 13:24
I only ever had Valium prescribed for 10 days. That's because of it's addictive qualities and also tolerance to it builds up very quickly, so you would need more and more to get the same effect.

ricardo
27-12-12, 13:45
Generally I would agree with that but I assure you in my case I have managed and been helped tremendously with it for a number of years without upping the dose. I am not recommending it, but I can only speak for myself.

Bonnibelle
27-12-12, 14:20
Thank you both. I was just curious as to why, if it works so well we can't all take it forever, lol!

Mark13
27-12-12, 18:48
Generally I would agree with that but I assure you in my case I have managed and been helped tremendously with it for a number of years without upping the dose. I am not recommending it, but I can only speak for myself.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, AFAIK it can't be prescribed here in the UK long-term any more. I believe people who were taking it continuously here were weaned of it where possible.

Annie0904
27-12-12, 18:57
Fortunately, or unfortunately, AFAIK it can't be prescribed here in the UK long-term any more. I believe people who were taking it continuously here were weaned of it where possible.

Yes this is true as it is highly addictive. My GP will only prescribe small amounts to help me through things that are going to increase or trigger my anxiety like a journey by plane or some medical appointments/procedures.

ricardo
27-12-12, 19:37
You got me puzzled lookinng up AFAIK :) then alarmed as we are moving back to England next year in all probability

Annie0904
27-12-12, 19:39
You got me puzzled lookinng up AFAIK :) then alarmed as we are moving back to England next year in all probability

Me too Ricardo...us oldies don't understand this language...I had to look it up too :D

Emphyrio
27-12-12, 20:14
Diazepam is very effective for short-term use or 'as needed'. Taking it for a long period of time isn't really an option though. Its not just a case of chemical dependence - like others have said, there is a strong possibility of your body developing a tolerance to it.

I've even heard of instances where someone taking benzodiazepine drugs can experience withdrawal symptoms even if the dosage if kept the same owing to tolerance build-up.

I have experienced rebound anxiety/possible withdrawal symtoms of SSRI meds which are supposedly nowhere near as bad as benzo withdrawal - I would definitely only take benzos occasionally or in the short term.

You say you had a bad reaction to an SSRI medication - why not try another one? Sometimes people have a poor reaction to one or two of them before finding one that suits them. There are also small things you can do - try chamomile or valerian tea, or valerian tablets - their effect is very mild compared to benzo drugs but they can certainly help take the edge off anxiety.

Mark13
27-12-12, 21:55
You got me puzzled lookinng up AFAIK :)
I try to keep the acronyms to a minimum, I only use AFAIK and BTW :)

Annie0904
27-12-12, 22:09
I try to keep the acronyms to a minimum, I only use AFAIK and BTW :)

I have to say Mark that my 22 year old son didn't know what AFAIK meant either so I don't feel so bad that I had to look it up in the Urban dictionary :D

Mark13
27-12-12, 22:32
I have to say Mark that my 22 year old son didn't know what AFAIK meant either so I don't feel so bad that I had to look it up in the Urban dictionary :D
I don't know whether to feel old or young :)

shadowstriker
28-12-12, 04:53
i think that diazipam does not loose its effect if its at a low dose i was on it for 2 years 5mg twice a day before that i was on 25mg aday wich did loose its effect but drs wont tell you that they will palm you off with promethazine its like a suger pill to most people

kittikat
28-12-12, 19:41
I have been on Diazepam for just over a year now, max dose was 15mg daily (I also had terrible med phobia due to awful SE's of SSRI's & Tricyclic anti d's) I believe I have not built up a tolerance or dependence and my doctor sees me every 2 weeks. I am very lucky he understands me and knows what works for me.

I was eventually prescribed the SNRI Venlafaxine in August which is really starting to help me now. I am reducing my diazepam very slowly and I am now down to 9mg daily. My doc is allowing me to take it at my own pace.

This is just my experience, others may disagree...but diazepam was a lifesaver for me. Such a shame it has now become a 'street drug' and abused. I feel that is why there is so much hype with doctors advised not to prescribe. If used sensibly and with doctors monitoring, it can be very beneficial to anxiety sufferers in my opinion.

Good luck....Kitti :)