PDA

View Full Version : Full Medical

Ally24
27-12-12, 14:11
Iv been suffering from panic attacks for quite a while now,i ave been to A&E three times and been to diff gps!iv had an EKG dOne and my blood pressure taken and everythin came back fine!i still think in the back o my head there is somethin tellin me that there is somethin physically wrong wit me and not jus panic disorder!has anybody had a full medical or anythin along these lines to put their minds at ease?

panickyme
27-12-12, 14:23
I have but, the unfortunate thing is I have Health Anxiety bad, and I am always convinced something is wrong! (and always feel like a black cloud is over me) When I get a full medical checkup I will feel better for like a week, and then I move on to something else. (it's an ongoing battle) Have you talked with a therapist? I seem to feel the best when I go talk to someone. Hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Arnie365
27-12-12, 14:29
Hi Ally

i had one last week with Bupa which wasnt cheap but I felt it was worth it. Everything came back absolutely fine and I got to spend an hour and a half with the doctor discussing my results and my anxiety and he was really good with me as he told me he used to actually work as a physician in the mental health unit of a hospital so he was well accustomed to people with panic and anxiety.

For me it was well worth it and i think it really has set a big part of my mind at ease though it certainy hasnt taken all the doubts away. They still creep in so its not a quick fix.

I think what it has done is give me more confidence in the original diagnoses of my GP and the doctors at A & E (been 3 times in 7 months). Turns out they were right all along but somehow because I have paid for this test and got more time to discuss the results and what they all mean it has helped.

As I say it wasnt cheap but fortunately I could afford it this time but I think you need to be careful seeking reassurance from tests as already my mind has started to drift onto thinking about booking other tests such as a CAT scan of my heart or an Echocardiogram just to be doubly sure! A much better option would be to accept what the doctors have already told you but only you can decide. This wasnt enough for me though now I see it should have been.

Ally24
27-12-12, 14:40
Thank you for your replies,much appreciated!i have talked to my therapist about having a medical and she seems to think it mite be a good idea for me as it might put my
mind at rest.i jus wanted to ask on here first to see if it had helped people havin it done.iv been taking lexapro 10mg for 10 weeks now,they helped for a bit but my anxiety levels are rising again and the attacks have come back strong!anybody any techniques theyve found helpfull to calm themselves down?

swgrl09
27-12-12, 15:28
I had a full medical in September and it did help a lot. I was nervous because they did a lot of routine blood work, but once it all came back normal I was so relieved and it helped me to really believe I am not dying of something!

Ally24
27-12-12, 15:56
Im hoping if all comes back clear il get similar relief from the medical!wat exactly is involved in it?