PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, help with dizzyness/anxiety

io9
27-12-12, 18:18
Hi, first time poster here from the UK!

I have had dizzy spells for the past 6 months, I have never fainted due to this but I am terrified of fainting in public.

I used to get anxious when I was in certain situations with people and had CBT and councilling, which helped for a short time.

I was then precribed Propranol 10mg whenever I needed it (one or two tablets per day usually) That drug stopped the adrenaline rushes and after a few weeks on that, I started to feel constantly dizzy.

I have now stopped with the Propranol and I am still feeling dizzy and "zoned out". Sort of like i'm not really there. I can still function but I end up getting paranoid about fainting.

I have now been procribed Buccastem 3mg which I have had one tablet and nothing has improved yet.

The feeling I have is like slight motion sickness constantly without the vomiting or feeling sick.

No one has commented on me being like this so it's something which people don't notice. It tends to happen more in shopping centres, in public when i'm out in the car etc.

Also my blood pressure/oxygen and heart rate are all fine.

Anyone know of any medication/techniques/similar experiences?

Thanks

nomorepanic
27-12-12, 18:31
Hi io9

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Mark13
27-12-12, 18:43
Hi i09

I use to take Propranolol, but was then prescribed Atenolol, which had less side effects, and can be taken daily.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

io9
27-12-12, 18:46
Hi mark,

I've also heard that the dizzyness could be from the Propranol leaving my system. Did you experience that? As it has been worse since I have stopped.

Dudds1983
27-12-12, 19:45
Hi io9, I have been on propanolol as well an didn't have a good experience they made me dizzy an my heart felt funny, it took a while for me to accept but dizzyness is from the anxiety, I was dizzy, dazed , drunk feeling for 6 months!I have just started to take 20 mg of citalopram which have seemed to help the anxiety, breathing techniques also help the dizzy spells, maybe have a look at some new meds, sorry I can't be any more helpful

io9
27-12-12, 20:14
Hey dudds,

Did your dizzyness get worse after you stopped propanolol? Also I was getting palpatations on my right side when on it too.

I have asked for Cilatopram before but the doctor refused. I understand it's an anti-depressent and not a beta blocker? I have always been a bit cautious of anti depressents.

Thanks for the reply!

Rich101
27-12-12, 21:01
Hi, i remember suffering similar symptoms a few years ago.dizziness and palpitations.decided to cut out any triggers for adrenalin like caffein,alcohol and.concentrate on abdominal breathing-this really helps as it sounds like hyperventillation could be an issue.hooe this helps