PDA

View Full Version : What are your views on Xanax?

nutcasetom
28-12-12, 00:27
Hi i have currently been on prozac for a week and already can not take the side effects i suffer everyday from anxiety symptoms as it is and i can not be dealing with weeks on end with this anti-depressant but i have heard so much about a medication called Xanax? is this good a si might ask my doctor for it monday and does it help with symptoms such as weakness, numbness, dizziness from anxiety ect? i have tried anti-depressants in the past and they just do not appeal to me no matter how long i take them for or how many ive tried.

Mark13
28-12-12, 00:31
I think it's very unlikely that your Doc will prescribe that drug as it's a benzodiazepine like Valium. GPs are very restricted in how they prescribe such things now and only do for a 5-10 day period to help with acute depression or anxiety.

nutcasetom
28-12-12, 00:33
oh ok im in such a bad way with anxiety im just trying to get instant help and im currently on prozac and it is day 9 and im finding it very hard to cope with side effects.

Mark13
28-12-12, 00:37
I know what you mean, I lasted 2 weeks on Prozac before I asked my Doc if I could try Pregabalin. Fortunately he allowed it, most won't as it's very expensive (60 times more expensive than an SSRI).

That said after nearly 4 weeks on Pregabalin I still feel bad :weep:

If SSRIs don't suit you you might want to discuss mirtazapine or trazodone with your GP. Both are Anti-depressants but of a different type.

nutcasetom
28-12-12, 00:39
oh ok thanks for your advice im currently having cbt at home because i can't leave home im so bad.. oh well hopefully the cbt will start to work im not sure whether to carry on the prozac im finding side effects really hard.

Mark13
28-12-12, 00:47
Unfortunately I think most people do go through a few weeks of feeling worse on Prozac before it really kicks in.

I was allowed to come off after 2 weeks because I've been on 2 other SSRIs which didn't help me, so I suppose SSRIs are out for me.

Janine
28-12-12, 09:49
Try and give it more time and it will pay off in the end, it is horrible but once through it you will feel so much better.

Maybe your doctor will give you some diazapan to take in the short term to help with the side effects or if not a beta blocker like propanohol which helps with the anxiety, I am on a slow release one and I know that is really helping with my anxiety. there are things that will help you get through.

panickyme
28-12-12, 13:42
In the US Xanax is the choice drug, before going onto something long term.(at least from my experience) If I were to go to the emergency room panicking they would surely give me a Xanax to calm down. The thing with Xanax is it is fast acting, (within 20 minutes, or so) you calm down, and can still function. I don't think Xanax is a good choice for long term medicine, as I said it is fast acting, and if you are anxious all the time you would be taking them left, and right, (highly additive) but it is great for immediate calming. I have been prescribed them, and do have them, but I have never taking one, (med phobic) I'm okay just knowing I have them, in my purse, if it should get real bad. My daughter gets edgy when she is going to fly, and has taken them, and she is able to fly she just flew to Hawaii which is an 11 hr. flight from home, and it worked well she made it there and back.( so I assume they worked well) Hope this info helps, and you feel better soon. :hugs:

ATory
01-01-13, 20:01
i have been having xanax for years.... my doc gave them or gives me them cause i am pilll phobia since being drugged so young... i wait for the anxiety and panic to go nuts and then reach for the pill... which is why he keeps me on it and it works... i still take such a low dose.... dont think its a good choice for addictive personality's so i am told.... but even then its so hard....