PDA

View Full Version : im a newie with a huge fear of sickness

legaleagle
28-12-12, 17:34
Hi there,
It feels weird to say I am new ,because the phobia of vomiting is old!!
I must have had the phobia for 20 odd years and in that time have received counselling, cut,hypnotherapy, and psychotherapy, none of which seemed to have had a lasting effect sadly.
This time of year is so scary. Everywhere reports the growing figures of norovirus, the papers , the news, people who know it freaks you out who tell you they know loads of people who have had it...aaaaagggh!
I don't vomit often, and when I do I cope.
Why am I like this, and why can't I get rid of this damn thing !!!
Tips, coping strategies, support, and like minded stuff please...:( x

nomorepanic
28-12-12, 17:45
Hi legaleagle

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
28-12-12, 18:17
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

MissGS
28-12-12, 22:52
Big deep breath, I am terrified to but we will be ok! h/ave a look at IceQueens post, it outs thing into perspective

G xxxxx

Mark13
29-12-12, 15:38
Welcome to the site, I hope you find what you need here, I'm sure you will. It's a very supportive environment.

MissGS
29-12-12, 17:33
How are you doing today chick? xxx

arg13
29-12-12, 17:47
hi there, I didnt know this was something note worthy, I have had this fear ever since i can remember! I have gotten more used to it in my adult life but fear it hugely in myself right up until the point I am and then, as u say, u deal with it.
as a child i would run away/get shaky/panicky etc. if a friend said they felt sick near me, i once fainted in a school assembly because a girl was sick. I now still cannot stand the idea of seeing someone be sick, or hear them, and i will do everything i can to get as far away from the situation and maybe still get a bit shaky and uneasy.
Is that familial? I was aware it wasn't completely 'normal' but makes sense if its linked with panic and anxiety problems.

legaleagle
29-12-12, 17:57
X Not great today, but getting on with things. Witnessed someone collapsed in primark, so promptly ran out! Read in the paper how high the norovirus figures are for this time of year compared to normal.you know? The usual stuff...:huh: how's it going for you ??,x

MissGS
29-12-12, 18:17
I have avoided the news as much as possible, although I did see that the QE2 has problems again.

Sound slike the most sensible thing to do with the Primark thing hun, you are exactly the same as me, anyone has a headache or a sprained ankle and I am convinced they will be ill!

xxx

Tessar
29-12-12, 19:28
Hi legaleagle - its not wierd your phobia. you have a very common phobia apparently (that's what my counsellor said to me when i mentioned it the other week). There are many useful threads on here about it. Once in particularly by started by Iced_Diamond has brilliant advice re: Noro and is well worth a read:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126709&page=2

If you are able to bear doing it, there are alot of other very useful threads. However, what you need to do is focus on the GOOD not the bad. Obviously all emetophobics feel pretty much the same about it but reading other people's posts is fine providing you are not going to use it as ammunition to make your phobia worse. That's why I recommend the thread above.

This one has a positive slant to it, someone who managed to laugh about the phobia (despite having difficulty with it)
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126714

This is a thread started by someone who is facing up to their fear:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125902

Of course you could search on the dreaded words (that i wont mention) but be aware you need to be selective about what you read. If you feel it isnt helping - skip that post. Hopefully you'll find some useful information in these threads. I really sympathise as this fear's plagued me for decades. Mostly though you arent alone as you'll see from various threads/posts on this site! Glad you found it.