PDA

View Full Version : Question about Diazepam...

LockedShut
26-08-06, 17:17
I've been told to take Diazepam. Two 2mg at night and one 2mg in the morning.

My question is how long after taking do the effects last for? I mean, I took 2mg at about 11:30. So are they still in effect right now. I feel weird. I'm not sure if it's that, or I'm listening to too much psychedelic rock music! [8D]

xo

carly123
26-08-06, 19:06
Hi Eloise

I take Diazepam occassionally and the instructions I was given were to take it 'as required', which is what I do- only when I feel a bad attack coming on. I'm not saying you should do this- take as directed by your GP, but it may be worth mentioning next time you see him/her whether you really need to be taking it on a regular basis like that. There is some debate on the forum lately as to how is best to take it, and how addictive it is. Personally, 2mg twice daily is a low dose, BUT I think you should be a little wary of taking it regularly for any length of time (I think the recommendation is no more than two weeks when taken this way).
Some effects can be felt up to 24hrs after taking a dose, and don't worry, they make me feel spacy too (in fact that worried me so much when I first took them that it made me panic even more) but if you realise it is the Diazepam effects you can kind of go with it and relax.

Hope this helps you. Like I said, I should take as directed until you see your GP.

Love Carlyxx

Clare_63
26-08-06, 19:26
My GP gives them to me for a 5 day period (20mg per day) when I am having what he calls a 'crisis' (last crisis about 6 months ago) I am so aware of how adictive they are that I always do exactly as he says. I have some for emergency use, as and when, but they are 10mg, and I break them in half. In the last month I've probably only taken 30mg all told (6 half doses). I think for me, they are my comfort blanket, but I only take them when every other coping strategy fails.

Take care

Clare :)

Obstacles are those horrible things you see when you take your mind off your goals (",)