PDA

View Full Version : I have started medication

Bonnibelle
28-12-12, 18:53
My worst fear is starting medication. I gave in and took my first Dosulepin tonight. I'm feeling very anxious something bad will happen to me:( I started it nearly 3 hours ago.

GP has given me 25mg to help with anxiety and mild depression. I hope they will help me, I'm so scared being on them though:(

Mark13
28-12-12, 18:55
I found dosulepin a real help. I don't remember any side effects other than a dry mouth and a good night's sleep :) I'm sure you'll be fine and well done on being brave enough to give them a go.

nicola1980
28-12-12, 19:00
Good luck, i started off on 75mg and don't remenber any side effects apart from a dry mouth in the morning xx

Bonnibelle
28-12-12, 19:50
Thank you both so much.

I took them for a year 8 years ago, but at 75mg. I'm starting on 25mg this time.

I hate taking meds after a nasty reaction i had to an ssri, I've struggled with meds ever since. I get scared and read the leaflet ok everything.
My concern with Dosulepin is that it isn't prescribed much these days. My gp said its toxic in overdose and that's the reason why they are advised not to prescribe. Also it can cause heart disease but he reassured me I will be fine as the chance is so small and he wouldn't prescribe it if he was worried. I know he's right.

I'm suffering from awful anxiety and started with agoraphobia after my brother attacked me in September:( I really hope these meds help me:(((

Annie0904
28-12-12, 19:59
I hope they help you. I have recently increased to 100 mg and feeling much better. I survived 14 guests on Christmas day, a funeral yesterday and taking my cats to the vets today. I could not have done any of that a few weeks ago. x

Bonnibelle
28-12-12, 20:02
That's brilliant Annie, well done!! Xxx

Mark13
28-12-12, 21:02
My concern with Dosulepin is that it isn't prescribed much these days. My gp said its toxic in overdose and that's the reason why they are advised not to prescribe. Also it can cause heart disease but he reassured me I will be fine as the chance is so small and he wouldn't prescribe it if he was worried. I know he's right.
He is right. I was on dosulepin (when it was called dothiepin) from about 1998 for a couple of years, then I just had it as an "as and when needed" treatment for insomnia, and I took Propranolol as my daily "anxiety med".

My Doc wouldn't prescribe it to me now for the very reasons you mentioned, but I'm glad it's still around as it was my favourite drug of it's type (tricyclic anti-depressants).

Hope it helps you, I'm sure it will.

Bonnibelle
28-12-12, 21:08
It does concern me that the heart risk is dangerous to me, that's why I'm so worried starting it:(

Annie0904
28-12-12, 21:17
You are young and on a low dose, it will not harm you. It is only harmful in overdose and needs to be monitored in the elderly. I am 54 and taking 100 mg, no problems.

Mark13
28-12-12, 21:36
It does concern me that the heart risk is dangerous to me, that's why I'm so worried starting it:(
You have to trust your Doctor in this. He wouldn't prescribe dosulepin if he thought there was even the slightest risk to your health.

Bonnibelle
28-12-12, 21:43
I know, it just really scares me.

I'm just hoping any side affects won't be too bad.