PDA

View Full Version : Please help...have you ever had a pale stool??

unconditional
29-12-12, 04:59
Today I went to the bathroom and was surprised to see that my stool was a very pale brown/beige colour, like the colour of khaki pants. Of course I immediately googled it and discovered that it's a sign of liver and pancreas diseases...now I'm terrified. My stool was a normal colour yesterday and I'm a generally healthy 18-year-old girl (although I could get more exercise and my diet isn't perfect). I'm afraid that I've damaged my liver through drinking..I drink on average once a week and I've been "black-out" drunk once before..maybe once is all it takes?

Could this be caused by a change in my diet? I've been eating much more fruit these past few days than I normally do, and drinking more milk and tea than usual. My grandma claims it can be caused by drinking extra water. I'm praying it's something harmless because for once this isn't just my paranoia--I have a real symptom! :weep: I'm trying to reason with myself that it can't be a serious disease because I feel perfectly fine otherwise, but I just don't know...

I'd love to hear that some of you have experienced this and been okay in the end!!

Justinf
29-12-12, 05:45
My crap can be a different colour each day of the week. I've stopped looking, on the advice of my GP because it increases my anxiety.
of course you should look every now and then, but not become obsessed about it.
I will bet you $20 it returns to normal tomorrow or the next. I really should bet you $100, but I don't want to be greedy and take too much of your money because I know I would win.:noangel:

hansonmw
29-12-12, 05:59
Poo color can vary a lot from day to day depending on what you eat, stress, etc. While pale stool CAN be from liver and pancreas problems, it is almost always something more simple like something you ate or gallbladder problems (not life threatening). Some types of antacids will also color your poo lighter or darker. I had pale, almost white stool last spring that was from Mylanta (a liquid antacid). I mentioned it to my doctor and they checked my liver enzymes just in case. Everything was fine.

It is statistically more likely that you are okay. ;)

unconditional
29-12-12, 07:25
Thanks so much for the reassuring words, guys. I've just gone to the bathroom again and the stool was still pale, but slightly more brown (sorry for the TMI). I've heard "any shade of brown is good" so I'm feeling a little better. :)

Annie0904
29-12-12, 12:37
Pale beige/light green stools can also occur if you have a lot of sugary foods which often happens at Christmas.