PDA

View Full Version : Sinusitis - lower tooth pain?

Angelai
29-12-12, 21:25
Hi, not sure if anyone here can help with this, but - I always find such great advice and support here I thought it would be worth an ask!

I have suffered with my sinuses for many years on and off. For about a month or so now I have been getting occasional eye pain, an ache, in my eyebrow and the eye itself. Sometimes I can feel it both sides, mainly it's just one side though. I also have pain in my cheekbone, and occasionally in the corner of my eye/bridge of nose. I get postnasal drip, have a phlegmy feeling in my throat a lot of the time, and have been sneezing a bit. I'm not blocked up as such, just a little stuffy maybe. No runny nose (very occasional water-lke drip, that's all). This is all stuff I've had before. But, I have started getting pain around my lower back teeth on the same side, and a little bit of ear pain that side too. I've noticed a few times that my throat felt a little sore that side too. All just minor, on and off, sometimes fleeting pains, but getting quite annoying now!

Anyone ever get LOWER tooth pain with sinus problems? I'm beginning to worry that maybe have a problem with my teeth instead or as well as sinuses, and there is no way I can afford a dentist at the moment :weep:

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks xx

Mark13
29-12-12, 22:41
I've not experienced jaw / tooth pain with sinus problems, but this from the ehow website suggests it's possible:

"When an individual starts experiencing pain in their jaw (especially the upper jaw), or in their teeth or cheeks, it may be due to the maxillary sinuses being infected. The maxillary sinuses, and their relative physical proximity to the upper jaw area, can play a significant role in this type of pain.

The maxillary sinuses occupy the space directly above the upper teeth and directly beneath the eyes; therefore, when they become infected swelling can occur in the entire cheek area. This swelling applies pressure to both the eye area as well as the upper jaw area, greatly restricting movement without complications and pain. Such a tight and constant pressure affects the jaw as it attempts to chew food and open and close for communication purposes."

Angelai
30-12-12, 23:49
Thanks for the great info, that makes sense to me. I think maybe I might have a tmj problem as well, have been very anxious (more so than normal lol!)

swgrl09
31-12-12, 00:44
i have had both lower and upper tooth pain with sinus problems. i thought that i had a tooth infection because i did not think lower tooth pain was possible! but a trip to the dentist confirmed my teeth themselves were fine. so i would say yes it can, or TMJ too. I get pain from both!

yewlandskid
31-12-12, 01:24
I have had an upper tooth problem related to sinuses, the fluid in the sinuses which was caused by tree pollen allergy, caused the root canal I had to disintegrate and caused me a very painful mouth upper and lower. Yes us anxious people do tend to grind our teeth too!

Tessar
31-12-12, 10:58
the advice below from mark is spot on i believe. it makes sense to me that the pain could be to do with sinuses. i remember years ago going for my 6 month check up at the dentist & thinking i needed a filling. that was til he said "have you had a cold recently" which i had. that's when i realised that tooth pain can actually be caused by your sinuses.

actually what i have discovered recently is that pain in your teeth can be referred quite easily to another part of your mouth. i had a tooth filled a few months ago in my upper jaw but it never settled.
Then last week I had really bad pain in it - but also i ended up with pain across my front teeth in the lower part of my mouth too. I had big dental work there about 4 yrs ago & starting worrying it was going to play up again.
Anyway, it had nothing to do with my lower jaw at all. I saw the dentist xmas eve, having thought about it long & hard over the weeked.... was it because i had a cold recenlty, is it coz i feel over recently-did i bash my teeth without realising it... and so on.
turned out the tooth at the top was causing referred pain. now the tooth's been sorted all the pain is pretty much gone. there was nothing wrong with my lower teeth at all.
hopefully you'll feel better soon coz it's really hard to content with tooth pain. I know people say "time will tell" and in my case it did. I found I had a few days trying to work it out & then it all came together & got sorted. I expect this is how it'll turn out for you Angelai.

Angelai
31-12-12, 13:57
Thanks for your replies, it's always so much more useful to ask real people than google lol! Everyone on here is so kind.

Tessar, you seem to be going through so much c**p at the the moment, I really feel for you :hugs::hugs::hugs: and still you take the time to help everyone out on here - bless you.

I'm definitely having a bad case of sinus trouble, the headaches give it away. I think a combination of having to have the fans going in the car (HATE this time of year!) and hormones (don't get me started!) is the cause of it all. As well as it being a generally stressful time of year of course. I may have to see my gp again, in the past I was prescribed 2 different steriod nasal spray things which I used religiously twice a day for 18 months. They did help, but the underlying problem obviously remains. It has to be worth trying them again though.

Oh, last night I developed the most awful metal mouth - like when you're pregnant but much worse. I have had this a lot over the last year or so, I always just put it down to hormones. As I am very hormonal at the moment I'm guessing it's the same thing again, but sinusitis can cause it too, right? Where to start helping myself???

swgrl09
31-12-12, 14:10
Yep, I get the metal taste when my sinuses act up. For me, it was all due to allergies clogging up my sinuses and then it would get infected. Going on an antihistamine daily helped clear mine up. I also used one of those nasal sprays which helped too. I am allergic to dust among other things and find that it gets a lot worse in the winter with the heaters on everywhere!

Other ways to help - saline spray or rinse, neti-pot, steam inhalation, hot showers ... I hope you start to feel better soon!

Tessar
31-12-12, 19:15
yes i tihnk steam inhalation as that's what my partner uses for similar issues

glad the replies have helped too.

hmmn hormones.... yuk.

thanks angelai for "Tessar, you seem to be going through so much c**p at the the moment, I really feel for you and still you take the time to help everyone out on here - bless you" as I always think I'm not going through anything really & should just buck my ideas up. makes me realise ok, i have been contending with a few things on & off!! i like hleping people - it makes me feel good about myself.

well, time to go & eat our roast tea now. yummy! byee all & happy new year

Tessar
05-01-13, 13:41
Angelai, are you feeling any better at all?

Angelai
05-01-13, 23:27
I had a couple of days respite, then the cheek and eye pain started up again - I didn't drive for a few days so I'm back to thinking it's having the fans going in the car that sets me off...

Thanks Tessar xx

Johann Langner
24-12-13, 01:08
Hi, this is my first post, thanks for having me.

Reading this forum, I came across a post from Angelai and it looks like I had the same symptoms.

I have had sinus earlyer this year, 2013 Nov. about a month ago. It cleared up but after a wile I felt a little bump or lump on my right hard palate, not very big, and did'nt hurt at first. After a weak it was still the same size, but hurt a little when I breathe in. I googled like crazy and started to worry that it might be cancer. Eventualy I thought that I might have a nasal polyp, cause my right nose, bridge start hurting as wel. My nose whas also bloked or partly bloked on the right side. I started to use a sal****er spray, but Im not sure if it help any. I have pain in my forehead and between my eyes an nose bridge too. For a little wile my right eye pained too and right cheekbone too. This drove me crazy, I started to google again, and thought I might have TMJ or sinus infection or swollen turbinates or all of the above. I start using Oxymetazoline HCI Nasal spray, warning, only use once a day for no more than 3 days. This shrinked my turbunates and made breathing easy. It also made the pain in my nose go away. So I think my problem was or is sinus or alergys that makes my turbunates swollen and hurt. I forgot to say, when my turbinates was not swollen the lump or bump on my hard palate also got a little smaller and do not hurt any more. The only thing that I am worried about now is that my right lower jaw hurts a little and some of the limf knots are swollen too, but I think this is just sinus too.

All the best to you all, hope you get better soon!

I dont know if I may say this, but, pray to God, this carry me through, He can heal anything!

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Hi, this is my first post, thanks for having me.

Reading this forum, I came across a post from Angelai and it looks like I had the same symptoms.

I have had sinus earlyer this year, 2013 Nov. about a month ago. It cleared up but after a wile I felt a little bump or lump on my right hard palate, not very big, and did'nt hurt at first. After a weak it was still the same size, but hurt a little when I breathe in. I googled like crazy and started to worry that it might be cancer. Eventualy I thought that I might have a nasal polyp, cause my right nose, bridge start hurting as wel. My nose whas also bloked or partly bloked on the right side. I started to use a sal****er spray, but Im not sure if it help any. I have pain in my forehead and between my eyes an nose bridge too. For a little wile my right eye pained too and right cheekbone too. This drove me crazy, I started to google again, and thought I might have TMJ or sinus infection or swollen turbinates or all of the above. I start using Oxymetazoline HCI Nasal spray, warning, only use once a day for no more than 3 days. This shrinked my turbunates and made breathing easy. It also made the pain in my nose go away. So I think my problem was or is sinus or alergys that makes my turbunates swollen and hurt. I forgot to say, when my turbinates was not swollen the lump or bump on my hard palate also got a little smaller and do not hurt any more. The only thing that I am worried about now is that my right lower jaw hurts a little and some of the limf knots are swollen too, but I think this is just sinus too.

All the best to you all, hope you get better soon!

I dont know if I may say this, but, pray to God, this carry me through, He can heal anything!

Daisy Sue
24-12-13, 01:19
I've got it just now too :( Doc says it's probably viral at the moment, but has given me antibiotics to take if it gets worse over Xmas. Also gave me Otrivine nasal spray.

I've had a stubborn headache on one side for days, stuffed up nostril on the same side as the headache, earache, and toothache. I wasn't sure which bit the pain was coming from!

One thing that does seem to help.. I shake a few drops of Olbas oil onto a dry flannel before bed, and hold it near my mouth & nose as I drop off to sleep.. also brufen helps the headaches more than paracetamol.

Hope that helps anyone else who's suffering.

Tessar
24-12-13, 17:03
if olbas oil helps it does sound like a sinus or congestion issue doesn't it?
amazing how the sinuses and teeth are linked when it comes to pain. I know sometimes doctors/dentists have trouble working out which bit is causing it.
Welcome Johann and I hope you don't feel too rubbish & things sort themselves out soon :-) Oh, also if you find it puts negative thoughts into your mind best to avoid googling stuff!!!!!
Daisy Sue I also hope you start to feel better soon too and thank you for the tips.

Daisy Sue
24-12-13, 18:06
Thanks Tessar :) hope you're ok too! Yes it probably is my sinuses (is that how you say the plural of sinus?? lol)... I can hear it in my voice, kinda bunged up, and have hissing in my ears.. I'm ok though, got all these things to sniff and a basket full of painkillers :D