PDA

View Full Version : Having a panic attack right now...Help

merrysee
30-12-12, 08:42
I woke up this morning and knew instantly i was going to have a panic attack, feel terrible, breathless, on edge, i have 3 small children to look after and am freaking out that i'm going to pass out and leave them on there own!

Arnie365
30-12-12, 09:02
Easier said than done but try and calm down. Panic attacks and anxiety can't kill you.

Sit or lie down and do some deep breathing. The one that works the best for me is breath in for 4, hold for 7, breath out for 8, hold for 2 and start again. I do this for up to 5 minutes and it does bring me down. Also try splashing freezing cold water on your face. It should shock your body back to normal.

Please don't worry as this only makes it worse. It will pass, I assume you have had them before as you recognise it's a panic attack so you've had them and they have always passed just like this one.

If it was anything serious I doubt posting on line would be the first thing on your mind!

merrysee
30-12-12, 09:11
Thank you Arnie365, yes i am a fellow sufferer of Panic Attacks, it's crazy because you know how you should deal with them but every panic attack feels like the 1st you've ever had. It never gets any easier, i hate them so much, it was my birthday yesterday so went out for a meal with my husband and friends and had a few glasses of wine, i always end up having a panic attack the next day, so i really don't know why i do it to myself.:mad:

Arnie365
30-12-12, 09:19
At least you can get to that stage of having a few drinks! I start panicking at the thought of drinking at the mo in case it increases my heart rate. Had a few on Boxing Day though as was with family and they don't know. I was fine!

merrysee
30-12-12, 09:23
Horrible isn't it, i'm a really anxious person generally so for me having a glass of wine is my zone out time, and a time when i can relax, but as i'm sure your aware alcohol and anxiety are not a good match! It's good you managed to enjoy a couple of drinks over christmas with your family though, well done.