PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my 3 year old

xtremx
30-12-12, 09:57
Hi, I have post before about my daughter have a hernia but she has now got an appointment to have it removed.

It is a epigastric hernia and the thing that scares me about it all is that they have to give her a General anaesthetic and I have a fear that she will not wake up after it, as I believe that no one should be told when to sleep it should be a thing that happens at a natural peaceful time.

And I fear a major return to panic attacks with worrying over this, and also I will not be able to go to the hospital by the sounds of it (my wife is going) but I have no one to look after my 11 year old for me and I would of liked to be their for my daughter as I was unable to be at her birth as I had to look after my boy (because my mother passed away few months before my daughter was born and she used to look after my third child when my son was born).

And it broke my heart not to be their for my daughter birth and she was also 5 weeks premature and had to go onto the neonatal intensive care unit and now I think I owe it to her to be their for her when she comes round incase she calls for her dad.

bashley
30-12-12, 10:22
Aw you sound a wonderful father. Is there a friend that could look after your son just for a couple of hours, just so you are there for when your little girl wakes up. Your daughter will be fine, they are extra careful with children. Try not to worry and just think it will all be fine . X

SamanthaAU
30-12-12, 12:12
Your fears are normal!! Anxiety or no anxiety. Make sure your wife goes in with your daughter and just be there if your daughter needs you.

My daughter had surgery when she just turned 5 and it was all over and done with before you know it.

Also, if you feel you CAN'T be there, she won't remember really anyway as she will drowsy so don't be too hard on yourself xxx

Annie0904
30-12-12, 12:35
My daughter had an operation when she was 3 and I was really anxious too but she was fine. Little ones tend to cope really well. Don't feel bad if you can't be there she will understand you are looking after her big brother and just have a nice welcome home when she gets back home.

Anxious_gal
30-12-12, 12:51
I've had general anesthesia a few times. A young family member of mine had them so many times I couldn't tell you how many.

There is a small risk of death. They inform you of all the risks before you sign the consent form.
I'm sure more people die in car accidents than from general anesthesia :)
Just to keep it in perspective .

Remember the opperation has to be done. It's there to help her.

As a parent what you feel is normal. Even my own mother tries to keep busy when ever I go into hospital for an opperation. She won't admit it but she does get super anxious.

She will have all the Pre op tests to make sure she's healthy enough to be operated on.
Then at the hospital they'll weigh her so they can get all the Medicine dosages just right.
She'll either be put under via gas or an injection. It takes 3 seconds.

Her heart will be monitored at all times.
Her blood pressure, oxygen levels, temperture and all her vital signs.

She may be given pain medications while she's asleep so she won't wake up in pain.
It'll take maybe an hour for her to really wake up.
Durning that time she'll still be monitored by the nurses.

She maybe weak, dizzy, unsteady and sleepy afterwards.
general anesthesia can make you a bit emotional.
So don't worry if she randomly starts crying or getting angry after.
She'll be back to her self soon enough :)

As long as her mothers there she'll be ok :)
Don't feel bad about not going, I mean if it makes you anxious the last thing you want is for her to pick up on that as she'll be worried enough on her own.

Just set up the couch/bed so it's super comfortable. She might just want to sleep or rest when she gets home.

Her throat may be sore, due to the breathing tube but never happened me.
So having easy to eat foods can be good. Her tummy may feel a bit upset too.

Annie0904
30-12-12, 12:54
When my daughter had her op aged 3 she was running about and back to normal in no time! I think little ones don't think 'maybe if I move it will hurt' like we would so they recover much quicker.

panickyme
30-12-12, 13:46
Oh do I understand were you are coming from, this is a big fear for me also. (one of many) I am petrified of being put to sleep, or anyone I know. My son broke his arm playing at school, and it was broke so bad they had to operate to put plates, and pins in. I was a nervous wreck. All the worrying I did was silly, he was in such good hands, they were so good to him, and he woke up just fine ( a little crabby) but fine!!!!! Think positive!!! Your little daughter is so lucky to have such a wonderful, caring, father who loves her so much. That alone will pull her right through this, and it's true children are resilient.( Hope I just spelled that right, lol) Good luck, and best wishes. :hugs:

xtremx
31-12-12, 10:12
Thank you all for helping me understand the whole thing.

I will still be worrying but atleast I'm more informed now.

Thanks

Annie0904
31-12-12, 12:14
Thank you all for helping me understand the whole thing.

I will still be worrying but atleast I'm more informed now.

Thanks

As a loving parent it is natural to worry, even for those who don't have anxiety :hugs:

iamstrong
31-12-12, 13:16
Hi
I had a hernia operation when I was around 4 1/2 (28 now) and I can tell you that I don't remember who was with me. I presume they were both but I can't remember. All I do remember is eating jelly after! ;)
I have had 4 generals and 2 locals. I had my last general a couple of months ago and was because of my anxiety so scared I wasn't going to wake up for my boys.
Because of this I did tons of research on general anaesthetic and of course reading worse case scenarios and I can tell you your daughter has next to nil chance of not waking up.
It is so rare you will probably not be able to find anyone healthy her age that this has happened to.
Hernia operations are a minor surgery and they are fairly quick.
She will wake up and will recover in no time.
Hope you are feeling better.