PDA

View Full Version : Confused... Do I have GERD/Acid Reflux?

Rls1994
31-12-12, 01:24
It seems as if my condition is unknown or something, because no one has any idea what it is. Yes, that includes my doctor.. :/

I always have this feeling of food/drink backing up into my throat and I feel nauseous like everyday. I have no idea if it is though as it's never come up any further (thank god...). I'm also belching constantly as well it seems, which makes me think that there is excessive acid in my stomach but I'm just not sure. Sometimes it feels like my throat is tightening as well which is kinda uncomfortable but only lasts a few seconds every time. I'm losing a lot of sleep because I always need to sit up in bed to belch.. :doh: Most of my burps these days need to be forced which then can lead to liquid coming up and then leaving a horrible vomit taste in my mouth. The liquid just feels like water, not acidic or anything which baffles me. After I burp, I usually feel like my throat is closing up or something but when I swallow it goes and my throat makes a gurgling sound. Can you even have GERD without the acidic sensation?

I've tried some anti-acids like omerprazole because my doctor suspected that I may have acid reflux, and after a month of taking them I didn't feel any different. Same with taking Gaviscon. After that, my doctor just assumed it was all anxiety since the medication didn't work.

My Father has a weak esophagus and has had acid reflux in the past and after I explained my symptoms he said he hasn't had what I have had before. He just said it feels like acid coming up into your throat, something I don't even get. Also, omerprazole works for him. :shrug:

I thought that I may have a hiatus hernia or something if it isn't GERD/Acid Reflux. But surely you get a lot of heartburn and pain with a hernia? Sometimes I feel a hot sensation in my chest area but it's not there most of the time.

I do notice this whole thing isn't so bad when I'm not swallowing constantly and feeling laid back, but since I'm nearly always worried about something it's always worse.

Does anyone have an idea? I'm seeing my Father's doctor on the 14th January, but I'm scared they're going to think it's all in my head too. :/

Arnie365
31-12-12, 06:23
Hi rls

I'm afraid I can't give youths answer but I have the same symptoms as you. My doctor has said it's heartburn/acid reflux because I'm stressed and making too much acid. I tried the omerprazole and thy didnt work for me either after 4 weeks. My doctor then gave me renatadine (spelt wrong I think) but its basically Zantac but a higher doe than you can buy in the shops. This seems to be working a bit better but the doc told me it isn't as effective as omerprazole but I guess we are each different. Might be worth a try?

---------- Post added at 06:23 ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 ----------

That should say you the rather than youths lol

Rls1994
31-12-12, 16:28
Hey Arnie :)

Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to ask my new doctor about that when I go on the 14th. My old doctor wouldn't prescribe me anything else as they didn't want to keep giving me different medication.

I'LL BE BACK. Haha. :p

Rls1994
02-01-13, 19:52
Argh! It's keeping me awake every night. Elevating my pillows don't help either. I'm guessing it's gotten so bad that nothing's going to help now..

Mark13
02-01-13, 22:57
I get a similar sensation often (forced burp wise) but for me it's down to drinking too much fizzy pop.

I had pains in my left side / chest area too, the Doc gave me Lansoprazole but I've not taken any yet at the pain has subsided (no doubt most of it was anxiety related rather than stomach anyway).

illgetthere
03-01-13, 17:49
I have your symptoms aswell as the acid comes up right the way up into my nose and feel it in my ears they feel plugged its awful have you read up on lpr silent reflux??

Rls1994
03-01-13, 17:55
Hi guys.

That's funny Mark, I always drink pop whenever I have any trapped burps, and it works most of the time. :D

illgetthere, that sounds awful! A lot worse than what I have, and I thought mine was bad enough. Hmm, I was wondering it might be silent reflux too, as I don't get the burning/acidic feeling hardly. I'll look into it. :) But, how do doctors diagnose it? Is it using the same method they use for GERD? An endoscopy?

Rls1994
06-01-13, 20:15
Ugh, it's gotten terrible again. It feels as if I'm going to throw up as I feel something come up, and I'm petrified of throwing up..... Strangely, I don't get a watery mouth or anything. No stomach ache or discomfort either, so I'm really confused.... :/ I'm getting sick (no pun intended) of it. It's affecting my every day life immensively. My parents think I'm just crazy and that there's nothing wrong with me, and doctors think this is all anxiety. Surely it can't be?!......