PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety affect you physically even if you are not feeling it at the time?

Justinf
31-12-12, 05:44
I have had a loss of appetite for about six weeks now. Has returned on and off for the past week, but today it's back to pretty much zero. Oh i can eat, dear friend and over indulged on Christmas and Boxing Days like everyone else. So there's plenty of room in there fear not! I still enjoy eating, I just don't really get hunger pains.
My GP, who I have visited four times about this says this is anxiety and that I probably need cognitive therapy to deal with it that it is so bad. I expressed my concerns about stomach and bowel cancer etc, but she reassured me that it is anxiety. she explained how the brain and digestive system are intertwined etc.
So for the past week or so, my heightened anxiety about my health, which I put it at a 10/10 at the time (and was at 10/10 for about three months), had subsided to about a 3/10 for the past week or so.
My question is, can anxiety affect you physically even when you are not feeling that anxious anymore? I thought I had 'calmed' down, but my appetite has still not returned (although the stomach cramps and diarrea has subsided).
(by the way, my anxiety is now at 5/10)

Arnie365
31-12-12, 06:52
Hi Justin

See the thread further down started by almamatters. You'll see the answer is a resounding yes and is always the case for me!

---------- Post added at 06:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

Ps it's called symptoms causing anxiety or other way round in the HA forum

hanshan
31-12-12, 06:56
Hi Justin,

It's a yes from me, too. For years I had a social anxiety condition where parts of me would just freeze up, even though I didn't feel particularly anxious.

Justinf
31-12-12, 07:14
That's very re-assuring guys. Thank you.