PDA

View Full Version : sinus infection.dr has frightened the life out of me.please read

shellyruby40
31-12-12, 11:06
Hi All.
i have chronic health anxiety..i recently had a bad cold and thought i had a sinus infection..i have had one before but not for years..ive got pain over my cheekbones..one worse than the other and slight swelling on the left one..ive had the slight swelling for 3 days but only a very low grade fever...its been throbbing over the cheekbone..bad headache and all my teeth throbbing all the usual sinus symptoms..
i went to the drs this morning and she first said yes i can see the slight swelling and she said that can happen in sinus infections..then she started saying i dont want to send you to hospital for intravenous antibiotics if we can help it...that really freaked me out..she said sometimes with swelling it can mean the sinus infection is spreading..but ive only had it for about 3 days..she given me eurothromycin 500 g 4 times a day...this is another problem in itself..ive had a lot of antibiotic allergies..i dont know if these are real or slightly dramatic as i seemed to have problems with all broad spetrum antibiotics and a few i had taken where in the height of my health anxietys...i remember taking eurothromycin before and was throwing up everywhere...ive taken my first dose and so far so good..the dr has really scared me..she said they dont like swelling with sinus infections because its near the blood vessels and the eyes etc..she has booked me in for an follow up on the 2nd jan and has said if you feel really unwell or the swelling gets worse go straight to the hospital...this is a scary thing to hear for a terrible hypocpondriach..but the throbbing isnt as bad as it was last night..can anyone help or advise..im so frightened
thank you for reading.

Annie0904
31-12-12, 12:23
Hopefully the antibiotic will work, which it seems to be doing as you say the throbbing is not so bad today. x

swgrl09
31-12-12, 12:43
She may have said that because sometimes sinus infections take more than one round of antibiotics to kick it ... I had one that the first antibiotic didn't get rid of it so they put me on a different one which did. But if you are feeling better, just give it time and make sure you finish the whole course of them! Hope you feel better

When I had really bad sinus infections, saline rinses helped a lot too

shellyruby40
31-12-12, 13:26
Hopefully the antibiotic will work, which it seems to be doing as you say the throbbing is not so bad today. x
thank you for your reply Annie.
hospitals and intravenous are not good words for an health anxiety sufferer lol.throbbing has calmed from last night..i just cant stop checking constantly in the mirror to see if the swelling has got down.x

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

She may have said that because sometimes sinus infections take more than one round of antibiotics to kick it ... I had one that the first antibiotic didn't get rid of it so they put me on a different one which did. But if you are feeling better, just give it time and make sure you finish the whole course of them! Hope you feel better

When I had really bad sinus infections, saline rinses helped a lot too
thank you swgrl for your reply.did you have any swelling to your face.mine is just on the cheek bone.when i googled this[stupidly i know]it said sinus infections can do this ..but the dr was saying about infection spreading and to watch the swelling..but ive only got a very low grade temp.
surely if anything else was going on wouldnt i have a high temp.

swgrl09
31-12-12, 13:39
yeah, i did have some swelling. they did xrays and everything just to check out what was going on but it was just sinuses. try breathing in some steam through your nose too, that was very helpful to me!

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

and mine was mainly my cheek on one side and also my eyes

shellyruby40
31-12-12, 14:12
yeah, i did have some swelling. they did xrays and everything just to check out what was going on but it was just sinuses. try breathing in some steam through your nose too, that was very helpful to me!

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------

and mine was mainly my cheek on one side and also my eyes

phew thank you.thats made me relieved..since the dr said about infection spreading ive been scared stiff about stuff i googled ..i ll try that with the steam.
thank you so much,xx