PDA

View Full Version : New here, not wanting to start meds and completely confused

sianadey
31-12-12, 14:48
Hi,

Just picked up my prescription for Sertraline 50mg. Don't know whether or not to start taking them.... visited my doctor last week and she was understanding that I didn't want to take any medication.... this week another doctor has prescribed them over the phone?? Why do they keep asking why I'm having periods of anxiety?? I feel like I should be writing a list :weep: I can't speak to anyone about it unless written in email or text...... I can tell work are getting annoyed that i won't answer the phone to them but I just cant do it, at home it's getting to the point where I've accused my husband of having an affair and I know that he hasn't. I feel like I'm completely losing my marbles. Its taken me days to pick up prescription because I don't want anyone to see me picking them up or the staff in pharmacy to know..... my mum has commented on everyone she knows being on antidepressants and I feel like it will show weakness if I start, Also I have two little ones (4 and 2) and worried that the medication side affects would me looking after them
My head is just mangled :wacko:

Arnie365
31-12-12, 15:21
Hi its absolutely the opposite of weakness in my opinion, its a show of inner strength that you can recognise you have a problem and are willing to seek help to tackle it.

Would you hesitate to take a paracetemol for a headache etc?

I was exactly like you, really reluctant to start my meds. Looking back now, all it did was cause me another few months of hell. Dont get me wrong, it can be difficult starting medication. My first 3 weeks werent great at all but everyone is different. You have to stick with it though once you start and give your body enough time to adapt. Im on Fluoxetine and my doctor said not to expect to feel much different for at least 6-10 weeks. I think her being realistic with me has helped me set realistic expectations and im just over 5 weeks in. Unfortunately some doctors dont explain how long it can take and people can end up stopping the meds after a few weeks.

Also have you asked about therapy? CBT is very good for most forms of anxiety. I truly believe you have to tackle anxiety from both aspects, medication to hit it now and CBT to help tackle whatever is lurking in your sub concious causing you to be anxious in the first place hopefully meaning it wont come back again.

anncornes
31-12-12, 15:55
I too was very unsure about the meds went from 10mg to 20mg citalopram after crying for 31days my life consisted of intense grief, its like somebody puts a black sheet over you and it slowly takes over you removing all the happyness just crying, no appetite, scared, not wanting to be alone rang anyone just to get out of the house , nervous, no interest in anything i usually love to do like the garden and painting , chronic worring about the world and feared the earth is doomed
however after blood test last week I was put on hrt and today for the 1st time in 5 month i laughted and hopefully am on the mend

starlight78
31-12-12, 19:50
Please try the medication. Believe me I don't think it is the whole answer, but it can really help. For whatever reason your brain chemistry has gone out of kilter. All the medication will do is put it back the way it's meant to. When you feel a little better you could try some CBT.
I really believe that taking anti depressant medication saved my life. I was in such a dark place and saw no way out.. After a week on medication (citalopram) I had glimpses of moments of being a little better and it grew from there.
X x

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Oh and I couldn't agree more with previous poster, depression affects those that try too hard for too long and don't take the help. Accept the help until you get back on your feet x x

sianadey
04-01-13, 01:06
Thank you all for your advice... I still haven't started meds but thinking about starting tomorrow now. Can't sleep due to the heavy ache in my chest from worry (have no idea why??). Today's not been such a good day, blocked the world out not answering phone texts or emails at all, not like me �� lets hope tommorow is a better day!!

Spammy505778
05-01-13, 01:15
Sertraline is an excellent med for anxiety, with few side affects many people have no side affects with these x

Sparkle1984
05-01-13, 20:24
I hope you are feeling better soon. Let us know how you get on. :)

gothic_rose
05-01-13, 20:35
I have just started the same dose of the same medication. I too am very reluctant to take any form of medication but Ive had to admit when I ned a bit of help.

good luck to you and hope you feel better soon x

AuntieMoosie
06-01-13, 02:13
Hello :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong in taking medication for any psychological illness, it's no different to taking medication for a physical illness :)

Sertraline, along with all other anti depressants are very, very helpful for both depression and anxiety and panic, I'm on Sertraline myself, 100mgs and I find it really helpful, in fact, I couldn't manage life without my anti depressants :)

As with most medications, you can get some side effects when you first start taking them, but these will soon pass, you have to give them a good few weeks before they really start working, but the wait is worth it :)

Hun, they will not effect your ability to look after your children at all, anti depressants don't act like tranquilisers so they won't make you feel "out of it" :)

The only side effects that I got when I started the Sertraline, was I had a slight peak in my anxiety for a few days, that doesn't matter if that happens, you could always ask your doctor if you could have a few low dose diazepam tablets just to have to help you if you do get a little spike in your anxiety, that's what I did, I only had 2mgs diazepam but it did help for those couple of days :) The only other effect that I had was I was a bit nauseous for a couple of days, I was never sick though, just felt a little green :)

The most important thing to remember though is that any little side effects that you may get, and remember, not everyone gets them, will soon pass, we're talking about days here that's all. You will soon reap the benefits once the Sertraline really starts working :)

Don't be frightened hun, there's nothing scary about it, please believe me, you will be fine and you will feel so much better in the long run :)

We're always here, there are lovely, helpful, kind and supportive people here so you need never feel alone hun, do keep updating us on how you're getting on :) :hugs: