PDA

View Full Version : drinking on sertraline

dogsandtea
31-12-12, 22:20
I used to drink on Citalopram (on 20mg and 10mg) and was fine, aside from getting drunk quicker at first.

I started 25mg of sertraline 1 week ago, and I am wondering if it is the same regarding alcohol as citalopram?

I went out two nights ago and had one large beer, it seemed to make me feel really drunk (not in a good way) and give me a headache. Will this sort of effect wear off over time? I don't want to not be able to have a drink with friends :(

Did anyone else get problems at first till they built up a tolerance?

Emphyrio
31-12-12, 22:27
I've not taken Sertraline, but I suspect that its a side effect that will wear off.

I've been on citalopram and prozac and in both cases I had side effects in the initial weeks (blurry vision, excessive tiredness then insomnia) which got better. I've drank while taking both of these medications and have generally been ok.

But I wouldn't worry about it. I'd guess you'll be fine in another couple of weeks. In addition, it may have been something else which made you feel funny - possibly the beer was 'off' or your body was dealing with a mild infection.

dogsandtea
01-01-13, 23:41
I know it says in both of these medications 'drinking alcohol is not recommended' but doctors have always told me it is fine to drink on them. I am wondering why it's not 'recommended'? Is this because it can cause more drowsiness? There is no chemical reaction between the two are there, does anybody know?

Rioblu
26-01-13, 21:55
ok, so i have had this problem. and i can tell you now i do not drink. with excessive amounts of alcohol (a night out) you are prone to black outs and un doing all the work your medication is doing.

It literally turned me in to a different person. Its really not good for you.