PDA

View Full Version : How far can panic go?

hannah26
31-12-12, 23:01
Hello,

One of my fears at the moment is losing control and losing all sense of the world and my life! I have derealisation. I'm scared that I will panic so much I'll damage my brain severely or I won't be able to stop and see the world normally again!
I'm scared a severe panic attack will take me over the edge and I will never be the same again. I can't see a future for me at the moment, I'm scared of getting worse, I'm scared of getting better in case it comes back again.
I fear that I won't believe people when they tell me I'm ok and I'm real.
I'm scared that I'll end up with a serious mental illness and won't be able to differentiate between real life and unreality!
The world looks different, almost like its a cartoon or a film! I'm sitting and worrying that I'm gonna lose it and go completely mad!
I talk and my voice doesn't sound like me own, I'm scared my arms and legs will stop working because I will forget how to use them!
What if I can't tell that I'm real!

Sorry I just needed to get it off my chest!
I think I've been thinking too much!! But how do you stop thinking, not altogether but just repetative thoughts and horrible thoughts!!

Hannah x x
Happy New Year x x

Annie0904
31-12-12, 23:03
You must remember that no matter how frightening it might feel an anxiety attack or panic attack can not harm you :hugs:

Dreamer49
31-12-12, 23:22
I sometimes feel like this too - like right now - it's a terrible feeling. You're brave by writing down what I have been feeling - I'm too scared to write it
down in case it actually happens. How's that for irrational thought? And in my better moods I beieve I have a very rational mind. Just taken half a diazepam and I'm beginning to calm down a bit. Well here's to a better and happier New Year - I've promised myself and my family that I will beat this in 2013. Best of luck and good health to you.:bighug1:

serendipity_x
31-12-12, 23:35
It is true that worriers have more health problems as you're putting your body under more strain from worrying. The body releases more cortisol every time the fight or flight response is triggered.

That's the truth, its what you fear thats worsening the fear and it becomes a vicious circle.

Arnie365
01-01-13, 06:37
Hi hannah

Have you tried cbt? If not ask your GP to refer you. That's all about stopping or at least recognise ad dismissing these automatic negative thoughts.

They are a pain and come from our sub conscious. They are automatic so are already planted in our head before we can stop them then our conscious mind picks it up and starts dwelling on it.

Through my cbt (2 sessions 3rd tomorrow) I've started writing down my negative thoughts. What was it/what happened and what triggered it then what was the negative thought and my belief about it then write how you felt and what actions you took or wanted to take then write what evidence there is to support the negative thought and finally write what evidence there is against it. Hopefully you will find more evidence against it than for. Then keep doing it. It's about repetition and training your mind to do this process automatically for you so the thoughts go away or never reach your conscious mind.

Mark13
01-01-13, 18:28
Hello,

One of my fears at the moment is losing control and losing all sense of the world and my life! I have derealisation. I'm scared that I will panic so much I'll damage my brain severely or I won't be able to stop and see the world normally again!
You can't damage your brain physically, these sensations are psychological.

I'm scared that I'll end up with a serious mental illness and won't be able to differentiate between real life and unreality!
The world looks different, almost like its a cartoon or a film! I'm sitting and worrying that I'm gonna lose it and go completely mad!
I talk and my voice doesn't sound like me own, I'm scared my arms and legs will stop working because I will forget how to use them!
What if I can't tell that I'm real! I completely empathise. I was exactly like you, but at the age of 12, in the late 70s when talking about mental illness just wasn't done. I woke up one day, not long after a severe traumatic health problem (involving brain surgery to treat) to a world which looked like a film. 2D and drab, as if I was watching the world from within a bubble, not part of it.

Unfortunately 34 years later the derealisation remains, but after a few hard years from 12-15 when I felt I was going mad, I basically learned to live with this version of reality. Sounds bad, but it isn't. I only give my derealisation a thought when on sites like this.

What I'm trying to say is this isn't a psychotic episode, reality and imagination will not blur, you may not feel part of the world, but you do recognise yourself and that you are in it.

I think I've been thinking too much!! Apparently that's part of the problem - too much going on inside our heads, so we live within ourselves rather than in the outside world.

Try researching "mindfulness" it's a good therapy for derealisation and the racing thoughts.

Mark