PDA

View Full Version : Fear of fainting?

aimzicles
01-01-13, 17:39
Hello all.

I wanted to introduce myself, and tell you why I ended up here. I have dealt with anxiety, to differing levels on and off since my teens. At its worst, I feel literally a prisoner in my own mind, uncomfortable in my own skin, panic-stricken and tied to the house.

As I have gotten older, it has dissipated - to the point where I almost thought my anxiety could be a thing of the past. However, one incident a couple of months back has provoked an avalanche of negative thinking and panic-inducing thoughts that I can't seem to stop.

I work in a school with kids with learning disabilities, and I was recently sat in a biology lesson with one of my students. They were doing menstruation, and put on a short video that showed a virtual cervix doing it's business. I'm actually laughing writing this, as it seems so silly. Anyway, I've always had a blood/needles/hospital phobia, but it hasn't bothered me so much as it's restricted to very small moments in my life where I will have to see anything gross. Well, this video was gross by most peoples standards - but it only lasted a couple of minutes. I worked myself into such a frenzy about seeing all this, that I fainted. The whole class saw me, the teacher had to help me and the nurse was called.

Funnily enough, the same thing happened when I was actually in school myself, years ago now...we were watching a particularly gross video in biology and bam, I was out. Back then I developed such a phobia of it happening again that it really began to restrict my life. Well, it's happened again. I was so embarrassed by what happened, I now panic about it happening again. I'm really scared it will happen in biology when they put another video on, so I spend the entire class in a state of panic, trying to stop my racing thoughts, rather than helping my student! It's extended to other social situations as well - I can't deal with their assemblies and the sense of no escape, or any situation where the exit looks really far off. The worst part is, with my job, I am continuously in the view of large groups of people. I feel much safer when I am alone with my students, or it's just me and another member of staff.

Because my attack was blood-cervix-grossness related my mind starts thinking up the most disgusting images that I can't let go of, and the cycle of panic continues. I really need to get a grip on this, the urge to just call in sick for days is overwhelming.

Can anyone offer any words of advice? Nice to meet you all, by the way!

nomorepanic
01-01-13, 17:49
Hi aimzicles

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Annie0904
01-01-13, 17:58
Hi :welcome: I do the same job myself. While they are watching a video would you be able to pop out of the classroom for a little while? I would explain to the Biology teacher how it affects you. It is usually the Maths class where I get in a panic because it is my worse subject!

aimzicles
01-01-13, 18:25
Thanks Annie, and hello Nicola!

This does help actually. Last time they had a video on HIV and the passing of injections that I just knew I wouldn't be able to cope with, and the teacher knew too so I went out and not to many people noticed. The problem is now the anxiety has set itself in me I seem to get wound up about most lessons, regardless of what they are teaching! It has extended to other areas as well.

I feel like I've gone right back to how I was in my early 20's, where every social situation filled me with fear. I am going to the doctors tomorrow - I've had a big track record of moving around lots and so doctors advice has never been very consistent. I have been on anti-depressants before, but I'm wary of going down that road again.

The weirdest part is, this is one of the most settled times in my life. I have had ten years of continuous upheaval, and now I can finally enjoy myself my brain is telling me otherwise. Stupid brain.

Annie0904
01-01-13, 18:36
Maybe CBT would be helpful to you, you could discuss this with your doctor.

aimzicles
01-01-13, 18:43
I would like to get it - do they do it on the NHS? You know what our pay is like! :D

Thank you for your responses Annie.

Annie0904
01-01-13, 19:11
Yes they do it on the NHS but the waiting list varies in different parts of the country.