PDA

View Full Version : stay calm!!

riposare
02-01-13, 18:02
hello everyone!
my names mario, and im very new to this site. first time on any site for me. been looking and reading forums for years, but have now found the courage to actually get involved. have read loads of posts and i find it very encouraging that everyone can help eachother.
been having panic/anxiety attacks since i was living at home with my parents, thats quite a while now considering im now 47.. a couple of years ago i thought i had them under control and was enjoying my life, but now their back with a vengence, and i have developed new fears which never bothered me before. cant keep spending hundreds of pounds on hypnotherapy, and councelling is a waste of time. im a self employed builder and have to drive to many different locations to get to work. ive been turning down work in areas that i deem to be too far, even 5/6 miles.
im gonna lose all my customers if i carry on like this.. i cannnot do traffic anymore i feel so trapped!! struggling to do the simple things in life, like going shopping or standing in a queue in the post office. this is having an adverse affect on my life, i dont want to stay home forever!!

nomorepanic
02-01-13, 18:12
Hi riposare

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Annie0904
02-01-13, 18:16
Hi Mario :welcome: I am sure you will find lots of support here. Are you on any medication? You say yo have had counselling, have you had cbt?

riposare
02-01-13, 18:42
hi annie!
thanks for replying,
i dont take any medication as i try to avoid pills. i brought this stuff called rescue remedy from chemist, thats all ive tried in terms of meds.
ps dont want to sound too thick but what is cbt?

almamatters
02-01-13, 18:55
Hi Mario, just wanted to say I can relate to your post, especially about driving, I used to drive 300 miles a week for work and now stress out about going a few miles. I have to avoid traffic jams as these are one of my main triggers for panic. I am forcing myself to go out everyday even if it is just a mile up the road just to try and get over this. Welcome to the forum and hope you find it as helpful as I do.

Annie0904
02-01-13, 19:12
Cognitive behaviour therapy. It is really helpful, ask your Gp to refer you. You can usually get it on NHS. I use the rescue remedy and find it helpful but I also take prescribed meds. Sometimes other meds are needed, nobody likes to take them but I just think that if they can give me a better quality of life then they are worth taking.

wazza
02-01-13, 19:18
cbt stands for cognitive behavioural therapy. theres loads of info on here abpout it and one person who offers a course in it. from what i read, i was very impressed, having through the mental health system for the last 15 years. There is a link to him in the Therapy section, the top post (a sticky????). free too and ive heard good things about him. a member called aunty moosie on here has a link too and id probably well worth a private message. wish you well and happy new year

Annie0904
02-01-13, 19:22
I think wazza is referring to CBT4Panic http://cognitivetherapyonline.com/cbt4panic/?hop=nmpanic It is very good, I am also doing this course and finding it very helpful. It is free for the first 30 days and then you have to pay but it is not too expensive and is well worth it.

riposare
08-01-13, 17:13
thankyou all for your replies! cbt it is then.

riposare
25-01-13, 10:12
can anyone recommend a good cbt therapist anywhere in north london or thereabouts?
thanks people!

Jenwales
25-01-13, 10:35
In this book at last a life it says that if you fight anxiety and treat it as a battle it will continue. I used CBT techniques in a overcoming panic book when I had panci attacks, for months I had them and after using the techniques they went.
I know haver anxiety, probably every day. The best advice I've ever been given is to not worrying about anxiety. To just live with it.
The more you look for help and think about it the more of a hold it has on you. I thought this advice was useless at first but actually you'll find if you engage with life and keep going anxiety does lessen.
If anything you can say tot yourself 'i've done this before and can do it again'
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html
there are many books out there that will tell you to expose yourself to your anxiety and just let it be. this book and website explains it better
i'm still struggling with anxiety but I think it I can change my thoughts and behaviours it will lessen and leave me be.

riposare
25-01-13, 13:31
thanks jen!