PDA

View Full Version : ATOS appointment..

Rls1994
02-01-13, 20:28
If you've been through this, then I'd like to know how it went? I have an appointment on the 12th next week and I'm worried. My sister went to it last year and she only barely got through it. She has severe autism and cannot work, yet they're calling her back in this year as if her autism is going to magically disappear.. :curse:

I was told that they ask all sorts of questions. Like with my sis, she just cannot communicate with people, except for family and they said something like 'You can move your arms and legs so you're fine' AND 'You got here alright, so what's the problem?' etc. It made me so angry..

I've heard ATOS has ruined people's lives, and even led them to death! I recently read about a man with cancer who had to see them and they said he was fit for work, and literally 2 weeks later, he died.

I'm scared they're going to say I'm fit for work too, when I certainly am not. I need time to sort myself out, and it's going to take a while.. It seems like these idiots don't care how unwell you are.

ATOS? More like WeDon'tGiveATOS.

clio51
02-01-13, 20:37
google benefitsandwork.co.uk

lots of advice

Annie0904
02-01-13, 20:40
I have just had to fill in a form and send it to ATOS so I am expecting to have to go to see them. I got a back up letter from my GP which I sent with my form.

Rls1994
02-01-13, 20:49
Same Annie. I don't know how I'm going to keep calm when I'm there to be honest... :/

Annie0904
02-01-13, 20:53
I hope it goes well for you but if you are anxious just make sure they see how anxious you are! Are you allowed to take someone in with you? I am not sure I can go in on my own. My doctor already wrote to my employers that I am not well enough to go to any meetings.

Rls1994
02-01-13, 21:01
Thank you! :happy: I hope your appointment goes well for you as well.

My parents are coming with me which is good, because I wouldn't be able to go in there on my own. I think they said to my sis before that she should have came in on her own, but she can't. It's the same for me. :/ I heard that they can come to your home instead, is that true?

clio51
02-01-13, 21:05
you can take somebody with you, and you can also tape the interview. you can request a home visit if you can't get there but I think it has to be a good reason, but they do them

Annie0904
02-01-13, 21:06
I don't know if they can come to your home or not. I guess they would have to if someone was housebound.

Rls1994
02-01-13, 22:03
Thank you for the replies guys. Looks like I'll have to go over to them. I have to go out of town to get to their place. I'm glad it isn't that far as I do get travel sickness on long journies.

Mark13
03-01-13, 00:55
Rls1994

Sorry to be personal but your "flag" and profile shows you live in Italy. Just wondered whether this was just wishful thinking, as I'm sure you must be in the UK if you have an Atos appointment :)

sophieunderscore
03-01-13, 01:00
My boyfriend had a really positive experience with ATOS, the person he saw took time to understand his problems (anxiety/depression/asperger's and agoraphobia). We got ourselves really worked up before he went but it was fine. He went with his mum because I was working and they were fine with him having someone there to support him. I hope you have a good experience too :hugs: