PDA

View Full Version : Is this a panic attack?

RVP
02-01-13, 20:19
I don't know whether I'm actually having panic attacks or not, but to me, it's when for example; I get pain in my chest all of a sudden which feels like it's coming from the heart, I very quickly start to panic but try not to panic TOO much and take steady breaths but my whole body starts getting really hot*, and a weird tingly sensation all over, all of that takes place within 10 seconds or less. I have to go outside to take some fresh air and it takes about 20mins for me to settle down again.
Forgot to add I feel slightly light headed, like I'm going to faint*

Annie0904
02-01-13, 20:33
Try to relax your stomach, drop your shoulders, take deep breaths in and let it out slowly. Look at something in the room and describe it to yourself. If you keep repeating this the panic attacks should pass.

Kittycalm
03-01-13, 03:41
I went to the hospital recently, and had an EKG taken. It really helped to relieve some of my worries.
I don't have health insurance, and now I have to work to pay it off, but learning that I wasn't dying from heart failure proved invaluable.
Just a suggestion.

Arnie365
03-01-13, 03:53
Hi RVP (great name by the way!) that most certainly sounds like a panic attack to me.

Other than getting hot that my symptoms of one. Chest pain triggers immediate panic.

You're doing the right thing by staying as calm as you can. Panicking and worrying about the chest pain will only release more adrenaline and make it worse and last longer.

I'm tackling mine with medication and therapy (cbt) and making good progress.

RVP
03-01-13, 10:44
Hello, thanks for your replies.

I've had an ECG done 3 times and ECHO/MRI on my heart already and everything was fine.
I've gone passed the stage of thinking I have heart failure and very rarely get chest pain now adays, I used to get it all the time (pretty much everyday)

Arnie365
03-01-13, 10:49
Thats great news. I too am seeing a reduction in the number and severity of the chest pains. Its no coincidence that they are reducing the more I believe there is nothing wrong with my heart and its anxiety causing all this. Cant wait for the day I dont get them at all!

starlight78
03-01-13, 10:59
Hi RVP,

I have similar symptoms. Mine start with tingling in my legs and feet and I get a surge of adrenaline go through me and I feel I have to move. My heart thumps and I become boiling hot. I don't get chest pain, but struggle to get a full breathe.

I don't worry about my health. I worry that I'm losing it and will never get myself under control again. That sounds nonsense writing that now when I'm calm, but seems so real when the panic sets in.

I write notes on my phone when I'm calm to read when I'm panicing. It helps me to remember that this is all just symptoms that will pass x x