PDA

View Full Version : anger triggering panic attacks/sleeping problems

Annaruth
02-01-13, 23:44
I started getting panic attacks after an extremely upsetting episode last Christmas. A couple of things happened around this time, which I found partly after reading your site.

a) What my CBT therapist calls social anxiety was stirred up. I've always been shy and unconfident socially for my age, despite a teaching career and fair social skills but my mum has 'bullied' or certainly excessively picked on me and criticised me. We had a major episode last year and I avoided seeing or speaking to her for about 6 months following a very close relationship (despite problems with her since my childhood) I feared her emails, texts and calls. I felt less nervous for her health/life problems but found being independent of her challenging (as my counsellor predicted I wasn't necessarily strong enough I wasn't surprised)

b) My insomnia worsened and I stated getting desperate to cut down on sleeping pills. So I started using marijuana which bought on a few panic attacks.

C) Alcohol has seemed to worsen it. I get it sometimes after taking diazepam.

d) fear of losing control of my breathing again, and not being able to get to sleep (trying to control my sleep excessively and internalise a lot) have both bought on panic attacks, sometimes within seconds of putting my book down and trying to get to sleep.

Are there any breathing exercises, or may this make it worse (see last paragraph)? Support groups..

Citalopram hasn't worked but reducing it from 40mg to 30mg may have helped slightly.

nomorepanic
02-01-13, 23:55
Hi Annaruth

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
03-01-13, 09:09
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

BobbyDog
03-01-13, 09:20
I can relate to your symptoms and triggers.

nopanic.org(no relation to this site), offer telephone group recovery for a £12 annual joining fee. I had my second session last week, so far not much improvement, but I have learned a lot more about my condition. It lasts for 14 weeks.

There are a lot of threads on NMP with regard to breathing exercises you may want to try.