PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Myself

ozzie
03-01-13, 02:19
Hello...

It's difficult to know where to start really.

I'm a 40 year old male and I've had depression on and off for a very long time. I was away for 2 years working in Singapore and returned at the end of August 2012. Since about June/July I have been experiencing panic attacks and moderate anxiety, but recently it has been feeling a lot worse. I finally told my doctor on Monday and after a lengthy chat we decided that I needed something to help clear my head and make it easier to think, and I have been taking Sertraline since then. He suggested CBT and has given me a number to call so I can self-refer.

While I was away in Singapore I rented out my flat and agreed to a 3 year tenancy, thinking that was how long I was going to be away for at the least. Due to circumstances beyond my control I ended up only staying over there for 2 years and have ended up living with my elderly dad in the family home. My dad is 84 and needs a lot of care. I have three older sisters who help with the care as well, but they all have their own families and don't live here with him. My dad and I do not have the best of relationships - for lots of reasons - though things are slightly better than before I left for Singapore.

I know a lot of the stress and anxiety I'm feeling is about feeling like the main carer for my dad, and I often do feel resentful towards him even though I know it's not his fault. I'm really missing having my own space but at the moment I can't afford to move out and my flat won't be free until August/September.

My biggest fear is that my anxiety and panic is going to spiral out of control and I won't be able to function at all. Ironically I'm an art psychotherapist (as well as a special needs teacher) and have seen first-hand what anxiety can do to a person. I am so scared I'm going to end up really unwell.

Oz.

nomorepanic
03-01-13, 02:30
Hi ozzie

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
03-01-13, 08:57
Welcome to the site. Your meds should start working soon and you should find things a lot easier to deal with. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

BobbyDog
03-01-13, 09:23
The CBT sounds like a good idea, hopefully it will help you move forward from where you are now.

paula lynne
03-01-13, 11:38
Welcome Oz, youre not alone, you will find lots of help and support here. Thanks for sharing your story x

ozzie
03-01-13, 12:26
Thank you all for your words of support - it really is much appreciated. Is nice to know I'm not alone.

Mark13
03-01-13, 13:20
You're certainly not alone Ozzie, welcome to the forum.

ozzie
03-01-13, 23:38
Thank you Mark13. I have to say that being here and reading about everyone's experiences has made me realise my anxiety/stress/panic have been with me a lot longer than I actually realised. Now that I have accepted this I need to find the strategies and coping mechanisms to make things easier. I am determined they won't beat me.

TJSMITH
04-01-13, 00:48
Hi there
I just wanted to say I can relate to some of what you say as I ended up with anxiety and depression due to my little boy having cerebral palsy I had to fight all the way for better treatment in the end we fundraised to get him an op in America which thankfully paid off then after I started having symptoms of anxiety etc....

I never believed in depression etc... So when everything was going well was hard for me to accept but logically the pressure had to get to me but I would do it all again as my little boy doing amazingly well now but being a carer is tough at times even for those you love.

I was put on sertraline and a year later most of the time I'm doing fine with some blips it's been a big eye opener for me as to what's important and what's not.
I now try and only focus on the here and now as worried so so much for my son (as most would) but in the process made me unwell by thinking the worst.

Live each day is my advice ( I never could) although with my situation was a miracle I was dealt for my son but we can never predict the future and that's a lesson I learnt xx

---------- Post added at 00:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

Ps I also work on a one to one basis in a school for a child with special needs

ozzie
04-01-13, 20:05
Thanks TJSMITH. Yeah, being a carer can be very hard. I'm happy to hear your son got the medical attention he needed, and happy also that you seem to be coping better with your anxiety. I agree with you 100% that taking each day at a time is the best thing to do - I really need to get myself out of the habit of dwelling on the past and worrying about the future and just concentrate on the here and now. I'm determined to beat this though, I really am.