PDA

View Full Version : Can Anxiety Alone Cause A Heart Attack?

secondtimelucky
04-01-13, 01:53
As above basically lol!! I say 'anxiety alone' because I believe I'm fairly healthy physically. I'm 27 now, smoked since 18 but not lots, don't drink heavily (barely even moderately) and have a pretty varied diet. Plus, being a mobile DJ keeps me fit :D

So, should I worry about my risk? :blush:

Need some reassurance really I think, I'v had 4 ECGs recently, all came back fine (and 24hr monitor) and booked for a 72hr monitor at the end of the month, I think I know the outcome, but can't stop worrying :(

nomorepanic
04-01-13, 01:57
Stress can add to the increasing factors that contribute to heart attacks along with smoking, alcohol, being overweight, high cholesterol, rubbish diet, lack of exercise etc

There are also other things that can cause heart attacks that I haven't mentioned.

Anxiety alone can't cause it but the stress can add to other problems that all add up.

Nico
04-01-13, 11:04
It is very unlikely you will have a heart attack lol, especially with all the tests you have had, I feared heart attacks until my Doctor said 'you are healthy and 17, you are not going to have a heart attack'.

secondtimelucky
20-01-13, 03:53
Thanks for the answers peeps, not been on here i a while because I thought I'd got through the worst of it. Now sat in bed in tears cos of a bad chest pain which of course has set me off on the heart attack theory again :(

does anxiety ever give us a break, dammit!!! Been fine the past few weeks, back out driving, back at work (a biggie for me as a dj) and cut down smoking from 20 a day to 3-4 with the intention of quitting.

Now this again... At what point does our body become un-anxious??? :(

spacebunnyx
20-01-13, 17:12
one of my close relatives is an intensive care dr (one of the top ones) and says its extremely rare for someone to have a heart attack before 35. cardiac arrest - yes, but due to either trauma, infection or underlying heart problem - that would already have been picked up by your ecg.

xxx

Orange Lightning
20-01-13, 20:12
This question is certainly of concern to me too as I'm not sure how long "long term" anxiety/stress needs to be to contribute to problems. It seems my blood pressure is rising though, so I'm worried!

secondtimelucky
20-01-13, 22:04
Spacebunnyx: Thats good to hear :) and I also agree (even if my sub-concious doesn't) that an ECG would have shown any underlying problems.

Orange Lightning: I wouldn't worry too much, I was also worried the same as you arere, not sure how much truth there is to it but I was told one of the first signs of high blood pressure is regular nose-bleeds.

Hopefully we can all get through this together, just been for a decent walk against my will, thanks to the mrs, feeling much better now :)