PDA

View Full Version : Ddcoo & throat cancer, update

Ddcoo
04-01-13, 15:27
Hi Guys, so sorry I haven't got back to you before now, but I am afraid I got a big shock yesterday when I went back to the hospital to get the results of my lymph nodes. All the surgical and nursing team were so upset when the results found 2 lymph nodes had been affected which is now another ball game. They were all convinced I would be in the clear. Up until now I have been healing really well & feeling so upbeat about concentrating on getting better, but I will admit to you all that I was shaking like a leaf and feeling very light headed and jelly-legged when I got the news. There was so much discussion then about what happens next that I felt overwhelmed by it all.

Anyway, in a nutshell I have to have 6 and a half weeks of radiotherapy with 2 sessions of chemotherapy slung in for good luck. I won't bore you with all the side effects of these two treatments, butI will say that is going to be a bigger challenge than the operation itself, and please, I will need you all again to helpme through this. I will probably be starting my treatment in about 4 weeks time and will have to travel 20 miles to St. James' Hospital in Leeds (known as Jimmy's) Mon to Friday for 6 and a half weeks. I don't know if you will want me to keep posting on here, perhaps you will let me know, as I don't want to drag anyone down. I have had a really bad night's sleep last night and am shattered today, but Annie said you were waiting to hear from me and I thank you for that.

The surgeons are pretty sure that the two offending lymph nodes are the only two, the other 23 nodes they took out were clear. These 2 nodes affected were near the back of my tongue so close to the actual tumour in the middle of my tongue. They have to give me this treatment to make sure the cancer does not come back.

On the positive side, my enlarged tongue is slowly reducing in size, I can speak so people understand me. I have had my gastro/nasal feeding tube taken out and I am back on a liquid diet by mouth, which is much better than being hooked up to the feeding tube 12 hours a day. The patch they took off my wrist to make the new bit of tongue and the artery they removed are healing well and looks very healthy.

So there you have the update and I am sorry I feel a bit down today, but tomorrow is another day and I have to continue to fight this battle. I have been given the opportunity to completely beat this cancer with the next treatment and although it is not going to be a pleasant couple of months I have to do it, not only formyself and my partner but also for you all so that you will realise that a lifelong sufferer of health anxiety can win.

Thank you again all of you for your prayers and kind words. Will look forward to hearing from you.

Wolfie
04-01-13, 15:29
Oh hunni, so sorry to hear of this news, but remember, you are so much stronger than you realise - you can get through this and you will. Sending you lots and lots of strong, positive thoughts and prayers.

Chris x

Elen
04-01-13, 15:36
So sorry to hear your news, please continue to post as you will not drag anyone down.

If anything your postive outlook is an insperation to many of us.

It sounds as though your surgical and nursing team is making doubley sure that everything is ok with you which is brilliant.

I am sure that there will be others who can post of personal experience of chemo and radiation therapy but I am confident that you will get through it.

Great that the swelling is going down and it must be a relief to be able to eat for yourself rather than through tubes.

Make sure you keep us informed as to how you are getting on.

Elen x

cassy1989
04-01-13, 15:38
I'm so sorry to hear about this news but you are clearly incredibly strong and I don't have any doubts that you will not fight and soon be completely clear. Good luck xx

ElizabethJane
04-01-13, 15:39
Dear Ddcoo sending many prayers and good wishes. Please keep posting on here. We can offer much support as a Community. EJ xx

Em.ma
04-01-13, 15:43
I'm so sorry to hear this...
Your so strong and brave having all this thrown at you your doing wonderfully.
You can beat this.
I hope all goes well with your treatment.
Of course you can keep posting on here :D

Annie0904
04-01-13, 15:44
Ddcoo don't you dare say sorry for feeling down today! You know there is only one way to go when you are down and that is back up. Keep posting because we are all going to support you on the way 'up' again big hugs for my good friend :bighug1: xx

cattia
04-01-13, 15:51
Sorry to hear your news. I hope that the treatment will go well for you. I hope very much that you keep posting on here. I am sure that all of us would want to be supported by others if we were to get a serious illness and everyone here wants to support and encourage you I am sure x

ricardo
04-01-13, 16:08
You really are an amazing lady,to get this knock back yet continue to keep your NMP family informed.

You post when you can and I am sure you will get loads of encouragement from others for you to read and keep your spirits high. xxx

vindrea
04-01-13, 16:25
Huge hugs and stay strong xxxx

nicola1980
04-01-13, 16:55
sorry to hear this, stay strong hun and keep posting xxxxxxxxxx

panickyme
04-01-13, 17:56
Ddcoo my hero, I am so sorry you have to go through this. Please, Please, Please know we will be with you every step of the way. When you feel well enough to post, please post, I/we will be thinking of you so much!!!! We love you, you have touched, and have made so many of us believe life is worth fighting for. (A true inspiration) You have made so many friends around the world, you will have the entire world, pulling, praying and being right there by your side in spirit through out every treatment. I am so sorry you have this road ahead of you, but Please know we are all going to take the ride with you, we will support you the whole way. I wish you the Best recovery, and that this will all be behind you fast. I am glad for you, that things are starting to heal. Bless you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs::hugs:

almamatters
04-01-13, 17:59
Sending you lots and lots of hugs and love. Wishing you all the best :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: xxxxxxxxxx

Janine
04-01-13, 18:06
You are a very brave lady and you will beat this, lots of big hugs,

We will all be thinking about you over the next few weeks.

xxxx

rubynoodles
04-01-13, 18:28
Keep strong and sending you really good luck :hugs:

Anxious_gal
04-01-13, 20:26
Hey, so sorry to hear :hugs:

KK77
04-01-13, 20:46
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Just want to say how very brave you are. Please keeping posting as your fortitude is inspiring, not depressing...

fruity
04-01-13, 21:29
Hi Guys, so sorry I haven't got back to you before now, but I am afraid I got a big shock yesterday when I went back to the hospital to get the results of my lymph nodes. All the surgical and nursing team were so upset when the results found 2 lymph nodes had been affected which is now another ball game. They were all convinced I would be in the clear. Up until now I have been healing really well & feeling so upbeat about concentrating on getting better, but I will admit to you all that I was shaking like a leaf and feeling very light headed and jelly-legged when I got the news. There was so much discussion then about what happens next that I felt overwhelmed by it all.

Anyway, in a nutshell I have to have 6 and a half weeks of radiotherapy with 2 sessions of chemotherapy slung in for good luck. I won't bore you with all the side effects of these two treatments, butI will say that is going to be a bigger challenge than the operation itself, and please, I will need you all again to helpme through this. I will probably be starting my treatment in about 4 weeks time and will have to travel 20 miles to St. James' Hospital in Leeds (known as Jimmy's) Mon to Friday for 6 and a half weeks. I don't know if you will want me to keep posting on here, perhaps you will let me know, as I don't want to drag anyone down. I have had a really bad night's sleep last night and am shattered today, but Annie said you were waiting to hear from me and I thank you for that.

The surgeons are pretty sure that the two offending lymph nodes are the only two, the other 23 nodes they took out were clear. These 2 nodes affected were near the back of my tongue so close to the actual tumour in the middle of my tongue. They have to give me this treatment to make sure the cancer does not come back.

On the positive side, my enlarged tongue is slowly reducing in size, I can speak so people understand me. I have had my gastro/nasal feeding tube taken out and I am back on a liquid diet by mouth, which is much better than being hooked up to the feeding tube 12 hours a day. The patch they took off my wrist to make the new bit of tongue and the artery they removed are healing well and looks very healthy.

So there you have the update and I am sorry I feel a bit down today, but tomorrow is another day and I have to continue to fight this battle. I have been given the opportunity to completely beat this cancer with the next treatment and although it is not going to be a pleasant couple of months I have to do it, not only formyself and my partner but also for you all so that you will realise that a lifelong sufferer of health anxiety can win.

Thank you again all of you for your prayers and kind words. Will look forward to hearing from you.
you are soooooooo strong. & you will win. TRY NOT TO LET THIS RULE U. we all believe in u

nomorepanic
04-01-13, 21:38
Sending you loads of hugs and love Di

You certainly have been through it and we were all hoping it was going to be the end in sight but not yet sadly.

We are with you all the way though xxxx

SamanthaAU
04-01-13, 23:30
We are all rooting for you, who else has a support team this huge?? You WILL get through this, you WILL beat this and you WILL continue to lean on us all for support.

Just think, you have survived health anxiety for all these years, you will beat this too. This is nothing compared to what you have already been through.

We love you dear lady xxx

swgrl09
05-01-13, 00:10
Wow, I am shocked and so sorry to hear that ... Make sure you stay hydrated and eat during chemo, I know it can make people nauseous.

We will obviously be supporting you here and I will pray for you! You can and will beat this, I know it. You are so strong.

:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Eek
05-01-13, 02:59
Hi,
so sorry to hear your news, but please keep posting we're all here to support you through this. Sending big :bighug1:

Rain
05-01-13, 03:33
I'll be thinking about you during your treatment and hoping for the very best outcome. Stay strong.

DubPeace
05-01-13, 04:09
So sorry to hear about the news.

And feel free to keep posting updates, it would be nice to hear how you're doing.

Wishing you the best of luck and will be thinking of you.

AuntieMoosie
05-01-13, 04:28
Di I'm so sorry that you got that awful shock hun.

Don't you be saying about getting people down :) You are a big part of NMP and we all, as your friends, want to help and support you through this Di :) So you go right ahead and talk about what ever you want or need too hun :)

You can do it Di, it's just going to be an extension of your journey :)

Sending you gentle hugs hun :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Justinf
05-01-13, 04:32
For us newbies, can anyone enlighten us on what Ddcoo's story is? Perhaps a link to another thread?
Ddcoo, keep fighting the good fight. You will get there in the end. Please keep posting.

EDIT: read through all the previous threads by Di and am up to speed.
Di, you are a freaking champion! What an awesome woman you are.
You will beat this. I know it in my heart.
Stay strong chick.

Col
05-01-13, 08:14
Hi di, reading your post makes me feel selfish & mad at myself but in a good way makes me appreciate what I've got & puts things into perspective ! You are amazing , courageous and a true inspiration to me & all.

Keep updating. Thinking of you :flowers:

bluesparkle
05-01-13, 10:16
di
sending you loads of :hugs::hugs::hugs:
of coarse we want you to keep posting...
we are all here for you hun...
you are in our thoughts and prayers...
rach
x

Ddcoo
05-01-13, 18:02
Hi everyone, I have read all your lovely messages to me and it really does inspire me to fight this battle. I keep on telling myself that it is only going to be about 8 weeks of severe discomfort then things will subside a lot and I hopefully will only be left with a permanent dry mouth etc where the saliva glands will be affected, and I can live with that, I will just carry a bottle of whisky around with me (ha ha).

After getting the bad news on Thursday and both me and my partner being in a complete state of shock, we have both come to terms with the fact that there is no other way if I want to live, but to take the cure, so with all your wonderful support I will keep you informed as often as I can on how things progress.

I really do mean it when I say your words help me, there are so many of you like me who have just been worried about our health all our lives, and to be quite honest I have worried for 50 years over one health problem then another, but never ever have I been in hospital before now except for one night when I dislocated a knee cap, so I have wasted years worrying for nothing, and now that the BIG ONE has hit me I have found the strength to stand up and fight, and I wish all of you found the same fight. HA is so debilitating, I have missed out on somany things in my life for not feeling well enough to do this, that or the other and now towards the end of my life I am so sorry I didn't take the non worry road. If I can inspire just one person for them not to worry as much, then my battle will be worth it, and I promise you all I will tackle this with as much strength as I can.

Again to you all a HUGE thank you for your encouragement, I promise when I am lying on that machine getting my radiotherapy that I will be thinking of all your kind encouraging words. God less you all, Di x

almamatters
05-01-13, 18:05
Nice to hear from you Di, been thinking of you. With your spirit and determination you will get through this. Sending you love :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Annie0904
05-01-13, 18:14
Lovely to hear from you today Di and I like the idea of the bottle of whiskey for a dry mouth :D Big hugs :bighug1: xx

venusbluejeans
05-01-13, 19:52
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee321/venusbloojeans/407646_350833571608846_767975988_n_zpsa3e2c58d.jpg

panickyme
05-01-13, 20:01
:hugs:I'm with Annie, love the whiskey comment. ( you really are an incredible person) to still make people smile, when you are going through this,(ya made me and Annie smile) what a great person you are. So glad to here from you. Always thinking about you. Check in soon.:hugs:

Twinsmummy
07-01-13, 00:35
Wishing you much love on this next tricky part of the path and you are right, we waste so much of our lives worrying about if's and probably's. Next time I go down that path I'll think of your words and try and change my thoughts....

I hope by the spring all these troubles will be behind you.

:flowers: