PDA

View Full Version : New here, feeling crappy today

gemmygem
04-01-13, 20:58
Hi i'm new here my name is gemma. I just feel like i need to vent to like minded people and maybe get a virtual hug.

I always hate the weekends because it feels like everyone else is going out and being social and having a good time and i just sit inside feeling sorry for myself because my panic attacks make it difficult for me to go out, i feel like i have no friends as i only see 2 friends every few months.

I really do feel like my mental health problems are ruining my life, I'm 24 and these panic attacks etc... stole my early 20's from me :(

Annie0904
04-01-13, 21:12
Hi Gemma, it is so hard when you see others going out having fun and you can't do it. Are you taking any medication or having any counselling?

Baggs
04-01-13, 21:19
Hi Gem,
Welcome to the site. I hope you find as much help as I have. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

gemmygem
04-01-13, 21:19
Just on the usual antidepressants for depression. Hopefully I'm going to be starting some counseling soon with someone who has experience with dealing with people with anxiety problems.

When i do go out i find it hard to talk to people i don't know, since i've avoid being around people for so long i've become socially awkward.
I would just love to be able to go to the pub or even a club and do things people my age are doing, i just feel like a freak because i have these problems.

Annie0904
04-01-13, 21:33
Ask your doctor about cognitive behaviour therapy, I think it may be helpful to you. You will get to be able to do these things again once you learn to deal with the anxiety. x

gemmygem
04-01-13, 21:52
The counselor I'm getting an appointment with deals with CBT too. I just hope their able to help, been through a load of therapy services in my area and only 1 really helped but it was limited session's. I'm guessing people in my position benefit a lot from CBT then, never really had it before so don't know what to expect.

Annie0904
04-01-13, 21:57
This will tell you a little about cbt http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

xdavex
04-01-13, 21:58
Hi Gemma , sorry to hear you're feeling so low at the moment.

I also often feel extremely low sometimes without any apparant reason.
I also have social anxiety issues, lacking self esteem, sometimes low confindence, & I often lack social skills in a crowd of friends I'm with, I beilive this is because I possibly have aspergers (I'm awaiting official diagnosis) , I'm not on any meds.

I think it would be beneficial for you to find ways of making new friends to increase your self esteem, for example one of my intersts is modelling railways & cycling & there are internt forums on just about any specific interest you may have yourself.
Online friendships for your chosen interest often progress to meeting up with like minded people in your local area, as in my case I've made new friends this way.

I also think you may be 'trying too hard' & giveing yourself a hard time about not going out socializing ?? , if you try & force an issue then it has no real worthwhile effect, so leaving us more frustrated.

gemmygem
04-01-13, 22:52
Thanks annie i will have a look at that link. Xdavex your right, mind run some support groups in my area for things like self esteem i might try and go to one of them so i can socialize with people. I'm just not used to talking to strangers i think that's why i feel socially awkward, i never know what to say so i just ramble on about random stuff

Mark13
04-01-13, 22:52
Hi Gemma

Welcome to the forum.

:hugs:

xdavex
04-01-13, 23:11
Lets put aside 'support groups' for a minuit, as I dont think such a group exists for improving one's self esteem ? -, If there is please let me know !,
(the support from like minded people on this forum is excellent & re-assuring enough for me btw)

My point is, have you a particular interest or hobby in something, as this firstly is a method of distraction, search the internet & join a forum about your particular interest, soon enough you'll increase your knowledge & share opinions with online communication, this often leads to forum meet-ups.

Dependeing on your location, there are forum meet-ups listed on the main page of this NMP forum ,threads for proposed meetings for; Liverpool, Derby, West Mid's & the South east regions active at the moment- see the index page for more details.

gemmygem
05-01-13, 14:32
xdavex - Mind do run a group in my area for self esteem, hopefully i'll be going to that next time it starts. I think at the moment because of my social anxiety i'd have a hard time meeting people, unless it was people who suffer from anxiety (at least then we all know how it feels)