PDA

View Full Version : vCJD Worries

Leovinus1
05-01-13, 04:50
Hello

This is going to be a stupid question.....I know...but there is something I am curious about with vCJD. Since late August I have been experiencing terrible gastrointestinal symptoms. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Crohns disease after a colonoscopy (where they werent even looking for the disease). Over 13 ulcers were found, but oddly enough the biopsy came back inconclusive. The genetic test came also back negative, leading my doctor to be left in a confused state. For two years I continued to have generally mild symptoms, mostly terrible constipation, until August. It was then my symptoms completely reversed. For the past four and a half months I can't stop going, even on limotil. I go on average three times a day; food passes right through me. I also have twitching and burning in my intestines. I have had generally no appetite, and I can't really tell when I am full. I am constantly shaking with anxiety due to my health condition.

I had a 2nd colonoscopy which showed my ulcers were gone back in September. A couple weeks ago I had a small intestines biopsy to check if it was celiacs. I stopped eating gluten for two weeks thinking it might help. Low and behold, that test also came back negative. What it did show, however, was horrendous esophogitis and acid reflux disease, plus a small ulcer. I have lost about 10 pounds in the past 2 months. I am a VERY thin individual, so these 10 pounds are vital to my health.

I have also had some other weird symptoms these past few months. Dizziness started in early November; which has generally abated. And MRI was conducted and came back normal, so did full blood work which analyzed my thyroid functions. I am not malnourished either. I have had weird feelings of heat in my right leg, and I am seeing visual disturbances in the form of little stars which come and go quite frequently.

My question is this: I know vCJD presents itself with weight loss, anxiety, dizziness and visual disturbances. My doctors are convinced my bathroom visits are connected to anxiety. Is vCJD weight loss connected to constant "going" or just weight loss independent of gastrointestinal problems? That is, does CJD or vCJD have any initial gastrointestinal signs?

FYI: I reside in the United States.

Baggs
05-01-13, 09:13
Hi Leo,
Looking at you posts, I see that you have been worried about vCJD for two years. I'm no doctor but it wouldn't have lasted for that long. I wish you all the best.

Baggs

Leovinus1
06-01-13, 05:23
Hello

Yes, but here in lies the problem: 2 years ago I wasnt having the weight loss, nor the other symptoms. The weight loss is what exceptionally worries me. Every story an individual reads online that is what relatives/parents claim was the first symptom of concern. 10 pounds in 2 months is horrible.